Garboard seam

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

degerb

Garboard seam

Post by degerb »

I have a couple of questions about my 20 foot Offshore camper project. Did the metal keel guard extend all the way to the transom, covering the garboard seam or did it stop at the end of the Keel?
The Philipine mahogany sheer strake had been painted, which I have removed using a heat gun and stripper. Was this strake originally stained and varnished similar to the transom? I was unable to tell from the Thompson catalog CD. The under layer of finish looked sort of like varnish but strangely the wood itself doesn't show any indication of stain or varnish penetration into it, just a uniform grayish brown color.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi,

It depends upon the year of the boat. May we assume this is a boat made by Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. of Peshtigo, WI?

What year is the boat?

Andreas
degerb

Garboard seam

Post by degerb »

Thanks Andreas.. I should have included that info. The boat is a 1967 20' OffShore Camper out of Peshtigo.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Look at the 1966 brochure for information on your 1967 boat. Thompson Bros. Boat was in bankruptcy starting circa Sept. 1966. So their 1967 brochure was a "cheapy" in black and white and didn't contain lots of information. It looks the the '67 Off Shore Camper was nearly the same as it was in 1966. It appears the shearstrake was stained and varnished like the windshield frame and transom, etc...

Many of the models in 1966 and 1967 had painted shearstrakes. Even some in 1965 and 1964 such as the Sea Lancer.

The metal keel guard would extend to the end of the transom. Your keel (outer keel) most likely ends short of the transom. So there should be a seperate piece of metal from that point to the end of the transom that covers the seam in the garboards.

Hope this helps.

Andreas
degerb

Garboard seam

Post by degerb »

Thank you for your info Andeas. Sounds good to me, that is what I'll do.