Just took the boat in

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

ElvisV04290

Just took the boat in

Post by ElvisV04290 »

Hello all, new member here, nice little site.

Well on to the boat. It's a 1959 Sea Lancer. Been in the family since 1970. It needs the trans repaired and some new paint but everything else is solid. Just thought I would post up some pics, and since its being restored, this seemed like the best place.

That's me in the boat.

A look at the transom, kinda hard to see the damage

I just love the lines on this boat, can't wait to get her in the water.
john

Post by john »

Welcome

Sounds like a good project.

Are you sure it's a 59? My guess it's a 65 or newer with the alum windsheild frame.

Keep us posted.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Welcome aboard.

When they replace the transom, make SURE they keep the hull ID which is stamped into the wood. Cut it out and remount it on the new transom, or something like that. Just make sure it does not get tossed into the burn pile!!!

By the way, what is the hull ID? Also is there a small rectangular plate with a serial numebr on it? This will be different than the hull ID.

I disagree that the boat is 1965 or newer. The windshield frame is wooden with the aluminum operable front inserts. Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. started using that type in 1959. The hull shape is definately NOT from the mid 1960s. It is and earlier version.

I restored a 1959 Sea Lancer last year and I am just about finished with a 1961 Sea Lancer model 950.

The hull ID will give the year.

Andreas
email: thompsonboat@msn.com
a j r

Post by a j r »

I'd like to add...that I am a fan of originality. So my recommondation is to rebuild things like the original. Use the old parts as patterns.

I will be happy to share pictures of my restoration projects with you. Let's verify the year of the boat first, however.

Brochures and prices lists for Thompson and her spin-offs are available for sale on a CD-ROM from www.dragonflycanoe.com and www.wcha.org

Get her ready and come to the sixth Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally taking place 8-10 August 2008 at Marinette, WI. It is a fun show, non judged and no awards. Lots of time to get to know others with similar interests, go for boat rides, eat and drink and have a great time!

Andreas
ElvisV04290

Post by ElvisV04290 »

a j r, I just replied to your post about the engine situation before I saw this. I like the idea that this is in fact a '59. We have a handwritten bill of sale from 1970 when we bought the boat that lists it as a 1959, but you can always write the wrong date. It does have the plate near the helm with the number on it, I don't have it written down. I'll figure it out and let you know.

My dad and I went to the very first Thompson boat show. Ours was not running but we went anyways, we had a great time. I'm sure it will be ready for next years show. It only needs the transom fixed and a new coat of paint, everything else is solid as can be. And a new engine(s) for her. Thanks for the info.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Memories, paperwork, titles, bill of sales, etc... are notorious for being incorrect.

The hull ID which is stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat, will determine the year.

If this is a 1959 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer, the rub rail at the gunwale is incorrect. It should not have the rubber/vinyl. It should be a 3/4 inch wide piece of aluminum only.

Andreas