tach cloth

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

tach cloth

Post by jim hays »

fine cheesecloth, saturated with a tacky,or sticky, wax, (what is it). Used to collect dust from a surface just prior to varnishing. Danenberg description, is this necessary and to what length. Rookie here. Will be varnishing soon. Thanks for your help Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

I always use tack cloths prior to varnishing. Here's my process. Close all doors. Clean, clean, clean, vacuum, let dust settle for several hours. Tack cloth. Wet down floor. Leave and come back in an hour or so. Tack cloth again with clean cloth. Leave. Strain varnish and thin if needed. I always store varnish and do the straining in a different room. Strip down to static free shorts only. Now it's time to varnish.

Never dip your brush into the can of varnish. Pour varnish into a small very clean plastic container (olives, sour cream, etc...). When using foam brush, if it gets limp and saturated after a while, throw it away and get a new one. I sometimes will use three brushes in one session. Be very light on your feet and don't sneeze! As soon as you are finished, gently close the door and leave and don't go into the space for several hours. Let varnish dry for 24 hours or more.

Andreas
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Welcome Jim,

I, too, was (am) a newcomer to boat refinishing. I now have five coats of fresh varnish on my 17' Chetek runabout. This vast experience has taught me that getting up any and all dust particles just before varnishing is very important. The thing about tack cloths is this: the wax in the cloth can transfer to the surface you want to varnish and cause the varnish to be repelled from the spot. Never use a lot of pressure or rubbing action with the tack cloth. A light once-over is all that's needed. Turn the cloth often to get a fresh surface. Good luck!

John
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

Thanks Guys. But sometimes I just dont get my point accross correctly. Is the tack cloth dipped in some solution seems to me the dry cloth wont rub down anything. When painting cars used laquer thinner and other products for wipe down prior to painting. Thanks Jim Hays
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

DAH; Just went to ace and got my answer about cheescloth (its impregnated with something. The only cheese cloth around this house is what my wife used in here canning (no coating) and I assumed this is all there was. Now I understand. Thanks Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

Nope, don't sip it in anything. It has a waxy type substance on the cloth. I get mine at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menard's in the paint department.

Andreas