Recommended Restoration Books?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

HOPOIL

Recommended Restoration Books?

Post by HOPOIL »

Maybe you, and others can give out a title or two from the many books about repairing wooden boats. I'm mainly interested in knowing the "How-to" bits for removing and replacing things like ribs, keels, decking, ...

If this is already posted permanently on the website, please tell me where to find it (if not, maybe it would be a good list to compile anyways?)

thanks;
HOPOIL
degerb

Post by degerb »

I've used a couple of books that I can recommend. (1) How to restore your Wooden Runabout Volume 1 by Don Danenberg (2) How to Restore your Wooden runabout volume 2 also by Danenberg. Only Volume 2 has info on restoring lapstrake boats. It had the most info for what I was doing with my Thompson. Volume 1 is strip planking and traditional planking etc boat repair, such as Chris Craft etc. Both books have sections on planking, rib, transom,and frame repair. I can give you the ISBN numbers if needed. Good Luck Don
a j r

Post by a j r »

I agree, both books are very good altho not necessarily directed towards restoration of Thompson type boats. There is tons of great general info.

Also look at the discussion forum of www.woodenboat.com which has great info. too.

Andreas