Brush Hairs In My Varnish!

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

vernonfarmer

Brush Hairs In My Varnish!

Post by vernonfarmer »

Too late at night, too much wine, too little light...now I've got at least two brush hairs in the fifth coat of varnish. Before I do something stupid (again), thought I'd check with the forum on how to deal with this issue.
I was using a foam roller and tipping with a bristle varnish brush.
John
a j r

Post by a j r »

If using a brush, find the most expensive, highest quality badger hair brush made specifically for varnish. In the cleaning process, clean, clean, celean, and spin it. That should get rid of loose hairs.

I use foam brushes with great success.

Andreas
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Since I'm applying so many coats I thought I'd experiment with each known method. I used the foam brushes for the first three coats and did well with those. Then moved on to the bristle brush and then to the roller and tipping brush. I'm going back tot he foam brush.

But my question now is...what works best for getting the hairs out of the set varnish? Is sanding the best and only option? Anything else?

john
a j r

Post by a j r »

Probably sand and get a tweezers to get the hairs out. Then you definately have to sand back to get a smooth starting surface.

Andreas
jim hays

Foam Brushes

Post by jim hays »

Andreas; Is their any differnce in what foam brushes to use? And about how many do you use to do a job? Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

Jen brand are best. But I use whatever I can get at Home Depot, Menard's, Northern Tool. I can go thru three in one session. All depends. If it starts getting soggy or if it starts to fall apart or if you get some dust in it, throw it out and get a new one.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Jim,

Try using a new single edge razor blade. Hold the blade almost vertical to the surface and perpendicular to the centerline of the hair. The postion of th eblade you are hold should be slightky forward of the cuting edge so the blade has a slight forward lean in the direction you are pulling the blade. Gentley pull the blade down the length of the hair using gentle pressure. This should scrap away the varnish that has encapsilated the hair. Your may need to do this more then once to get the hair out and smooth the surface to be even with the surround varnish. The key is to keep the blade at aslight angle to the surface and use ever so gentle pressure so you do not gouge into the varnish surface. After the hair has been removed and the surface is fairly even use a fine fine sandpaper to buff the area before revarnishing.

This same techinque can be used with small runs. Generally with runs I try to hold the blade at a slight angle and slowly shave off the excess varnish then sand lightly.

Good Luck and take it slowly.

Phill

Phill
vernonfarmer

Post by vernonfarmer »

Brush hairs are out and coat number 6 is in place. Thanks for the advice all.

Sanding was all that was needed to remove the hairs stuck in coat number five. Went back to the foam brush and find it much easier...for me, anyway.

On to number seven!