Thompson Hull Logo

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

John R

Thompson Hull Logo

Post by John R »

We had three restored Thompson runabouts on display at the Tacoma (WA) Working Waterfront Museum "Classic Cars & Boats" display on July 1.
One of the owners needs to replace the Thompson hull logo emblems on both sides, near the transom. It has the flying bird and Thompson (not Thompson Bros. of Peshtigo, WI). I told the owner I thought there was a forum message about somebody who has replacement logo plates available, but I can't find the message. I would like to help the owner locate new logo emblems if possible.
I believe the original plates are made with pot metal (zinc) which are chrome plated. Unfortunately, they are subject to corrosion in salt water. A brass reproduction casting of the logo emblem would be more durable.
If anyone can suggest a source, please respond with info.
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

John,

I recall the message you mention. I inquired at the time, but the logo badges were not for sale.

I believe ebay is the best place to look for the original badges. I've seen them there before.

I obtained my badges by buying a second boat.

Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

Yup, watch ebay auctions for those name plates. They come up every so often. Make certain you get the correct ones for the boat. Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. changed them several times over the years. Circa 1963 they added "Bros of Peshtigo, Wis" under the "Thompson" name. Ones prior to circa 1963 just said "Thompson" with the bird superimposed over the "T". They also made major changes to the logo in 1970 and again in 1978 and again about 1989. They also had two sizes, one for smaller boats and one for larger boats. The Cortland operation totally changed their logo circa 1960.

And yes, they are pot metal that has been chromed. I currently have a set being rechromed.

And obtaining another boat just for the logos is also a good suggestion. I too did that to get the mid 1950s small logos for my second Thomboy! Later on I sold the boat sans the logos!

Andreas
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Andreas,

My 1963 Super Lancer has the original logos and they are just the name and the bird-- just as pictured in the 1963 catalog. It was painted "gull gray" with a white shearstrake from the factory so had the logo without the blue background and they are mounted on the strake below the shearstrake. The previous owner painted the hull below the shearstrake blue and we have repainted it a slightly lighter blue.

John Thompson
jim hays

Thompson logos

Post by jim hays »

ok john R and anyone else that would be interested. I had a set of logos from my 59 Sea Coaster made out of brass by Barr Castings Portland Or. for the cost of 53.59. I havent taken them in to be chromed as of yet. Anywasy here is the deal I"m willing to make the set avaliable to anyone interested in useing the originals to make a new set. You will have to pay the cost of shipping (both directions). And remember to send them back when you are through. Or I might be willing to do a large order with Barr Castings. After all guys we are all trying to restore wooden boats to their orignal splendor and if we are not willing to help one another then whats the point. Barr casting told me not to do anything to the orignials(leave the pits he states the chrome shop will polish and chrome them). Yes make sure you have them made out of BRASS they will not caroded like pot metal does. this logos are just thompson with the bird no bros under it. Jim Hays
John R

Thompson Hull Logo

Post by John R »

Jim Hays, you are a wonderful guy! I have contacted the Thompson owner in Olympia, WA (Jim Ellis) and encouraged him to contact you directly via this web site. The logo (badges) are just what he - and probably many others - are looking for. Many thanks for your kind offer and I'll bet you get alot of replies. :D
John R (Tacoma, WA)
Jim E

Thompson Hull Logo

Post by Jim E »

Jim Hays, you are just the guy I'm looking for. I have the '59 Sea Lancer that was shown in Tacoma. John R has been very helpful on my behalf in finding possible replacements for a broken Thompson nameplate. I understand you to say that you have your two new brass nameplates from which a brass foundry would need to make castings and cast additional nameplates. I am very interested in taking your offer and to borrow your nameplates. I will be driving from Olympia to Portland on 8/1 if it would work for you, I could arrange to meet you then. Jim Ellis
a j r

Post by a j r »

Great news that someone is making old Thompson logos. But I caution everyone, make certain you are using the correct logos for your boat. I have seen too many improper logos being used.

Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co had several versions in the 1950s and 1960s. Thompson typically did not use the metal logos on the strip built boats other than on the Thomboy model. And Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. started using a completely new logo circa 1960.

Do some research first and find out what is supposed to be on your boat.

Andreas
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Andreas,

The 1953 TVT Super deluxe we purchased last year came with the smaller Thompson metal logos. It's possible a previous owner put them on, but given they changed nothing else from original above the waterline, I would bet against them having added them.

John Thompson
johnpthompson

Post by johnpthompson »

Andreas,

I do note that the picture they used for several years in the catalog for the Super Deluxe does not have the logos on the side. Of course, ours is the "16 foot" model as opposed to the one pictured, so who knows, perhaps they put them on the 16's. Of course, it is possible one of the two previous owners or the dealer put them on boat.

John Thompson
jim hays

thompson logo

Post by jim hays »

to all if you go to the posting by JOCAS (Thompson Sea Coaster Restoration Project). You will see the logo that I have offered the use of. However the red paint did not stay, burned of in the process. It measures from the bottom tip of the birds WING to the very end of the N is 12 3/4" again it will be available on first come first served bases. Jim Hays