This weekend I launched!

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

TreelineIII

This weekend I launched!

Post by TreelineIII »

It's true, I did launch my 1958 Cruiser Inc Vacationer 18'6". However this was a bit premature since I have not finished the window or a few cosmetic pieces topside. Labor day weekend marked two years in the garage so I felt inclined to get her out. The launch went well, sorry I still have not made the effort to figure out pic posting. I had to launch in Blackwell lake, which does not allow power, so I had to use a trolling motor. Not the wake I was hoping to see, but just the lines of the boat on the water were enough at this time. But rather then rambeling on, I do have a question.
Again Andreas, excuse my verbage if I am mistaken, I replaced the back 4' of the garboard pieces of the hull. This being both sides of the plywood on the bottom of the hull on either side of the keelson. I believe that repair is sound. I had thought that the front section was solid, and I still do. However I do notice that this section breathes in water slowly. After I launched I noticed that I had a depth of about a knuckle or two collecting in the bow. We were not out very long but it appeared not to gain too much more as time passed. Time for my quesstion. Does anybody else experience this sort of water? If so, do you have concern with it? I would have prefered it be dry but it is what it is. Are there solutions or options I should concider doing at this time?
Thanks for your comments.
Eric
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Treeline III,

If this leaking was with out power being applies to the hull as a large out board will do I would say you need to find the leak and fix it. Once power is applied you could very well have a bigger problem show up. When under way with power the hull is going to be beating against the water and will tend to get worse not get better.

When you get water in the area betwween the hull and your floor boards it takes a long time for that to dry out unless you bail out thius water and open up the area to free air movement. The water trapped in this area will in time cause the rot you sent time repairing and you do not want that happening again, right?

The hull was not "breathing" in water it was "leaking" in water. Find the leak and fix it before you have more major problems. Did you noitce exactly where the water was coming in? This would be my first clue as to what the problem might be. If you did not then you could either put it back in the water and check the hull very closely to determine where it is leaking or you can put water inside the boat and start looking outside to see hwere the water is leaking out. Check the keel area unless you noticed it leaking in somewhere else and attack that area.

Good Luck,

Phill
a j r

Post by a j r »

Great to hear the boat floated. Isn't it FUN!

Did you remove the outer keel and reseal? That is the most obvious place for leaks. It's possible leaks come thru the edges of the planking where they lap agaist each other. That's where the plywood is most pourous. Typically iof you seal and paint those areas (which I am sure you did), they will not leak much at all. Are the planks tight against each other. Were the machine bolts tightened? That's another culprit.

I doubt water is going thru the wide face of the plywood.

Andreas
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

I appreciate the responce. In the excitement of launching I did not notice exactly where the water was coming in. I think I will take it out again specifically to watch where the water is entering. As for what I did, I put in a new keel and keelson, and replaced the back 4 feet of Garboards. I then coated all of inside and bare wood outside with CPES. I then put on bottom paint. Someone just reccomended that I sand down bottom again and apply Interlux 2000E which is I believe a 2 part epoxy primer/sealer. Then repaint bottom paint. Ofcourse this would be done after I narrow down my issue. Any thought about this 2000E.
thanks
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

I have an update. I just went home for lunch and crawled under the boat. I was told by West Marine to use what I believe was more of a silicone glue for the Keel. What I discovered is that the paint had flacked off. I would also have to say that I question the bond of this area, and wonder if this is not contributing to the problem. However inside when attaching the keelson I did use 5200. I took a few moments and went back under the boat with my knife and was able to cut out the cauling which was in the area along the keel and the garbord. it came off qhite easily. I am guessing that you all will tell me I should have used 5200 in this area as well. Is that right? Also, Andreas you mention the laps, I did tighten them throughout the boat, even though they did seem all tight. I did not try to push in any cauling or sealent here. It now appears to me that I probably should have in the areas below the waterline. Is this again an area for 5200. I just don't see this stuff being able to be smoothed out to form a nice joint.
Please allow me a stupid question. But when asked if the plywood is delaminating, what is it that I am looking for?
Thanks again for helping me trouble shoot this.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Congradulations on your launch! Taking on a little water after being out of the water for so long is not a problem. My 20' Cruisers takes on about a gallon then stops. Water will collect in the bow as it is the lowest point.

Ideally water should not come in but i have yet to own a boat that does not pass a little water and I use my hulls quite a bit.

My 20' seeps a little on the garboard seam at midship on the starboard side right where I stopped tightening the bolts because of where the trailer came to. I intend this winter to complete the refastening of that seam. But until then I will live with a little water in the bilge.

These hulls where made to flex and move with the stress of the water and some water passing is not the end of the world or a sign of poor workmanship.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
TreelineIII

Post by TreelineIII »

Dan thanks for your responding moral support. I like to think I did everything right, but when the results were not exactly like I exspected I was a bit dissapointed. However with that being said, I think the intake of water did level out so I do not believe I have a serious problem. My plan at this time is to scrape off the gout/caulking I had on the keel (already done) and reapply either 5200 or Marine Tex. As well I plan to dig out the seems bellow water line and fill with either 5200 or Marine Tex as well. Then I plan to do an even sanding on the entire bottom and paint with this Interlux 2000 2 part paint. Then finish off with the red bottom paint I have. Sounds like alot of work but I want to start off with my best foot forward now that I have a chance. My goal has always been to have this ready next year for it's 50year birthday and show at the Thompson rally.
Thanks for your email.