Sister keelson/ Stringer

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

degerb

Sister keelson/ Stringer

Post by degerb »

I'm still working on my 20' Pestigo Off shore. While removing paint and sanding the bottom I noticed the bottom has sagged about 3/8" on both sides between the garboard strakes and the Chine area and 3' fwd of the transom. This condition has been apparently caused by the old problem of roller bunks on the trailer. I found by clamping a 10' piece of 5/4 X 4'" white oak next to the outboard stringers I can remove most if not all of the sag. What should the adhesive of choice be in this situation, Marine glue and thru bolts or or use 5200 and thru bolts?? Thanks Don
a j r

Post by a j r »

Are you bolting a new piece of wood next to the existing stringers (sister keelsons)? Am I understanding correctly?

A waterproof adhesive that is compatible with gluing white oak is necessary.

Whatever adhesive you use, you will have to remove any varnish or paint on the old wood surfaces. No adhesive will properly stick to paint or varnish.

Make sure you use non-corrosive bolts and other fasteners. Silicon bronze is recommended.

Andreas
degerb

Post by degerb »

You're corrrect Andreas, I am talking about attaching a piece of oak to the outboard side of the stringers. I just haven't had any experience using 5200 in this situation and was wondering if a flexible ahesive woud be better that a rigid glue line, and yes I will be using 1/4" silicon bronze fasteners staggered somewhat about 8" apart. CPES on all surfaces of course! Thanks Don
a j r

Post by a j r »

Sounds like a good plan. I suppose 5200 would be OK.

Andreas