steering wheel removal

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim

steering wheel removal

Post by jim »

I am in the process of taking apart a 1958 sea lancer so that I can restore it. I am having trouble getting the steering wheel off. I have removed what I assumed was a retaining nut from the front of the wheel but it won't budge. Any suggestions? Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

There should be a connector from the back side behind the dash board.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Wheel removal

Post by Phill Blank »

I am assuming you are trying to remove the wheel from the shaft. If this is the case you most likely have some curosion between the metal wheel hub and the shaft. Try appling a small amount of penitrating oil, likely nut buster, etc., and allow it a feew days to work and then try again. You may need to build a puller that will support the wheel hub on the back aisde and with plate across the front of the wheel with a bolt that will push on the shaft to apply some pressure to the assembly. Once pressure is applied then hit the bolt head with a hammer to break loose the wheel. Puller would need to be simular to those used to remove a flywheel from a small engine or a bearing or pulley from a shaft. One must use cautions so as not to damage the wheel itself. Good Luck!
ecottrell

steering wheel

Post by ecottrell »

I had the same problem with my 58 sea lancer. My steering wheel has some hair-line cracks so I decided it was NOT worth breaking it. I left it on and worked around it. (Not what I wanted to do but it really was not that bad)
jim

steering wheel stuck

Post by jim »

I may just end up leaving mine on as well. I have been spraying it with oil for over a week and it's not budging. Jim