My Boat is Sick

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Bill E

Post by Bill E »

LancerBoy wrote:Welcome aboard. So do I understand correctly that you purchased this boat?
Well, we're in the process of... but by the weekend, yes.

-wte
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA
Woody

Hey from new Thompson owner

Post by Woody »

Bill
I looked at Dave's boat last year. It will be a nice boat when restored.
I brought home a ThomBoy this weekend. My wife is not quite as enthusiastic about "old wooden boats".
I'd like to correspond on these two projects. I'm north of town in Alpharetta.
I'm pretty sure both our boats are made of the same plywood.
I know I'll be replacing some planking and possibly some frames. My transom will also need to be rebuilt.
If I recall your boat correctly the aft frames required replacement. You also have some planking replacement and transom work to address.
I look forward to our membership in the Thompson boat ownership family and know already that there are people out there more than willing to help us.
Congrads to Dave on finding a home for his boat.
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Welcome Aboard guys - looking forward to hearing about your work - lots of pictures please!!!
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
Bill E

Post by Bill E »

Thanks for the welcome, Peter! Larry "Woody" and I had a good chat on the phone while I was towing the Lancer back to my place this afternoon. I had happened to catch his post just before heading out so I PM'd him my number. Although we're both new to wooden boat restoration & repair, I'm glad there will be someone nearby to bounce ideas off of and maybe share suppliers with.

You want pictures? Well, here's one from me for starters... the obligatory cheesy grin shot of the guy who just bought a boat!

The oblong hole in the hull is visible just beside my left hand above the fender. By now you've all seen Dave's other shots of this great boat. Yes, it will take some work to get her floating dry again, but hey - that's half the fun, right? Otherwise we'd all be driving Clorox bottles.

In other news of incredible timing, I also sold my Catalina 22 this weekend on craigslist.org, after only 1.5 weeks, and $150 below asking (granted, it was a generously low asking price). I've also located two nearby sawyers with air dried white oak via craigslist for making my replacement frames.

Another couple of quick questions about this 17' Sea Lancer: Once I remove the windshield and front & rear seats, how much should I expect the bare hull to weigh? Also, I know I read somewhere on this forum the sequence for removing the windshield, but I've been unable to dig that one up. Can someone point me in the right direction, or recap it for me? Is anything else easy to remove or advisable to remove to facilitate the flip or to simplify the work that follows?

I'm itching to get started, but we're due rain tomorrow. Anyway, I hope to document this process in photos, if not also in drawings and writeups for the benefit of those who follow. I'll go ahead and start a new topic to chronicle my progress.

Cheers,

-wte
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

An excellent cheesy grin (nice boat too). I'm planning to flip mine as well, so we can share approaches when the time comes - I have some pre-requisite house things to polish off first.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware