Cortland vs WI design

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Cortland vs WI design

Post by thegammas »

Finally getting around to posting pictures of the floors of my Cortland Sea Lancer. What looks different from what I have seen in most boats is how the ribs run from one gunwale all the way over to the opposite side sister keel. Also note that the ribs pass between the keel, and a second(?) keel. This allows the water to flow full length. Again don't know if this is unusual or not.

Some of the pics show my structural issues, aka my winter project.

I shot of the construction

A shot of my not so sturdy bow area

A shot of my stern (where the structure is nice an solid)
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

adding another shot of the keel construction

Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
Shaun E.

Post by Shaun E. »

Looks like that boat spent a long time nose down with water in it.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! I did not realize that Cortland boats were constructed that way. Very intereting. Their 1960 bochure talks about the ribs being away from the keel. They must have made this design change after the split with Thompson of Peshtigo.

Andreas
thegammas

Post by thegammas »

It's a neat design - when I pull the boat out, I tilt the trailer (or simply pause on the ramp) and any water flows freely to the back where I can pump it out. Nothing hangs up on the ribs. I also like how it ties the three keels together. Havent quite figured out if it will make replacing ribs any easier/harder. More on that when the day comes where I attempt that little ventrue
Peter Stransky
Wilmington, Delaware
59FLPAN

1962 18ft thompson & 1962 75hp johnson super sea-horse e

Post by 59FLPAN »

hi, i would love to see a photo of your rib replacement work, i bought a 1962 thompson sealancer that was also built in cortland

thanks much
jeff
1962 17'2" thompson sea lancer
jeffrey w. sanderson
59FLPAN

1961 19ft thompson offshore

Post by 59FLPAN »

SORRY PETER, MY BOAT I FOUND OUT FROM THE MARINERS MUSEUM AND ANDREAS THAT I HAVE A 1961 CORTLAND 19FT OFFSHORE MODEL. I AM STILL INTERESTED IN SOME PHOTOS OF YOUR FLOOR TO COMPARE TO MY OFFSHORE MODEL

THANKS JEFF
1961 19FT CORTLAND OFFSHORE
jeffrey w. sanderson