Epoxy over Varnish - To Do or Not To Do

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

gts

Epoxy over Varnish - To Do or Not To Do

Post by gts »

I'll preface this with an apology to Andreas - my Thompson is a working boat and I'm looking to take advantage of modern chemistry rather than always duplicating factory methods. Does anyone recommend putting a flood coat of epoxy over the varnished transom? My boat (66 Off Shore Cruiser) is anchored during the summer and thanks to a slight list and waterline painted too low, the transom varnish is in the water. My spray rail is on the 4th lap but my sides are painted down to the fifth, and then comes the bottom paint which wraps around the transom. So every few years I'm sanding, staining, and revarnishing the transom. Would brushing a coat of West System epoxy on top of the refinished transom keep it bristol until the next millennium? Or would it look like plastic and introduce a raft of other problems?

George
degerb

Post by degerb »

George:
Before you try the epoxy I would suggest contacting Steve Smith the maker of CPES and ask obout their 5 year polyurethane system. Additionally Smith's typically have a wealth of info on CPES, epoxy's, fillers etc. that they will gladly send to you. I heartily recommend them for their knowlegable service. <www.smithandcompany.org>
Good luck Don