Gunwhale Rub Rails

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rodney Syverson

Gunwhale Rub Rails

Post by Rodney Syverson »

I have asked this question before but will post it again as I still have not determined what the correct application is for gunwhale rubrails on my 62 Thompson Sea Lancer. I asked before if Thompson ever used an aluminum extruded rub rail with a vinyl insert and the answer was an emphatic NO!!!. My previous original owner of my Lancer does not ever remember installing the aluminum extruded rub rails which is all I ever remember on his, now my Sea Lancer, since I was 12 years old. Possibly the dealer installed them and he and I both remember it having a white insert which was replaced by black perhaps 25 years ago. Problem is I cannot get white and black kind of looks odd. In looking at the 61 era Thompson brochures it appears there is some sort of cap strip much like the stainless steel cap I picked up for the spray rails from Jamestown. Would say a 1" wide stainless steel hollow back cap strip be close to the original application. Does any one know for certain what the original application was and what were the dimensions. Also it appears the two sides come to a point short of the bow rather than wrap around the nose which makes for a difficult radius to put in just about anything. The look of the 3/4" strip on my spray rails looks perfect and the dimensions balance but I think the gunwhale at 1 + 3/4" would require at least a one inch strip. Appreciate any input. Thanks in advance. Rod Syverson
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hi Rodney,

In the 1962 Peshtigo catalog it sure looks as if the rub rail is a piece of white vinyl with an aluminum insert. Just like on the 1965 boats. I restored a '65 Sea Lancer last year. Wefco Rubber in Californmia makes an exact duplicate of that vinyl, their profile #109G. www.wefcorubber.com. I have the original vinyl rub rail hanging on my shop wall and I also have some of the new stuff purchased from Wefco. Do you want a sample?

It looks as if all the models in 1962 had that same combination vinyl/aluminum rub rail.

Now, maybe your boat was ordered with a different type of rub rail or as you mentioned, maybe the dealer or owner put something different on her than what came from the factory. Customization happened all the time.

Andreas
Rodney Syverson

Rub Rail Extrusion

Post by Rodney Syverson »

Thanks AJ for the info. I checked with Wefco with that profile and it is completely different than mine. I faxed them a pattern of my profile and they have a profile # 0012G-3 that for all practical purpose is identical to what I need. They said that was a popular profile so will have them run some white next week and I should have for the Rally in August. Meanwhile I am going to install my extrusions and hang the black for Crosslake. Are you coming up? Still looking for an extra Sea Lancer emblem but adv. on dockside has produced no results.
Rod S
a j r

Post by a j r »

I won't be at Cross Lake. Never have been. If going to a show this weekend it would be Minocqua, WI. But I am taking a boat show break and going with friends on a weekend holiday in northern Wisconsin.

Andreas