camber in decks

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

calvin

camber in decks

Post by calvin »

My latest project is a 62 grady white wich closely resembeles the thompson and crusiers inc...the problem is the decks are almost flat...looks kind of dorky...is there a way to help this out without cutting new braces?
a j r

Post by a j r »

The deck of your Grady White boat most likely had a crown to it originally.

Your best bet is to remove the existing plywood and either make new, crowned deck beams or add shims to the existing deck beams. Then reapply the plywood (or put new plywood on her).

All of the 1950s and 1960s Thomspon boats I have worked upon have had a crown to the deck.

Andreas
calvin

Post by calvin »

Thanks for the info....I added a 3/4 piece to the center and put the old deck pieces on top temp. to check the crown...looks much better...I can add shims to fill in to stiffen up the rest...Whats the best way to secure the new decks?...liquid nails and screws or?....the original decks had 1 inch brass staples on the outside ...screws thru the kingplank in the center and glue only..on the rest!
a j r

Post by a j r »

I have used combination of nails, screws and 3M5200 adhesive to apply plywood decking to the framing. Nails and screws get countersunk and puttied.

Andreas
calvin

Post by calvin »

Thanks captdan...let us know the progress of that ole johnny...
calvin

Post by calvin »

Here are pics of the deck.
calvin

Post by calvin »

pics of deck with camber added