Glass Installation

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Atwater

Glass Installation

Post by Atwater »

Got the windshield glass out .

I see someone selling the replacement molding at the boathouse . Good stuff ?

Looked like the glass was caulked on the inside a couple inches up from the bottom . Any hints on installation ?

TIA

I think I'm gonna rename it " CREDIT CARD " . I keep getting deeper !
Scott
Darrell Van Eck

Post by Darrell Van Eck »

Scott:

I used the molding on my 62 coaster, it worked great. I did not use any silicone or anything to hold the window in. I installed the windows and checked them, they seemed to be real sturdy so I did not seal them. The wood for my windshield was in real good shape also, which helps. I would not hesitate to use a clear silicone where the windows rest on the wood if you think there is a issue, in small quanities. I just don't believe in sealing in moister in places when you do not need to. If you silicone seal anything you will seal in moister, you will not keep it totaly out. Which could cause future problems.
Darrell Van Eck
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

I bought some of that molding and it has worked well, I have had a little trouble getting it to turn sharp corners, Anybody know the secret to tight turns?
I have made seals a couple of times using white silicon. I taped off wood and glass so that it left an area like molding. Then applied silicon and used a spoon to tool into shape. I then pulled tape and allowed to dry. I then shaped edge on glass with xacto knife. Looked very good and works when you no longer have good slot for bead.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Atwater

Post by Atwater »

Dan ,

The molding that I took off was slit around the radius of the corners where it fits into the slot .
Scott
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

This newer molding is not solid and thick as was original. When I try and turn it- it wants to fold, because material is very thin near tapered edge.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Atwater

Post by Atwater »

Hmmm...

I wonder maybe a heat gun to mold in the corners ?
Scott