splash well on transom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

splash well on transom

Post by jim hays »

ok guys I need some measurements for the splash well on a 59 sea coaster. From the sadows left on the transom I guess its around 35" wide by 9" tall but have no idea as to how far it protrudes into the boat. was not one on the boat when I purchased it. Also Im having to replace the transom useing three pieces of wood instead of two like orginal I plan on dowling the pieces and useing gorilla glue to hold it together and of course it will have the inner pieces as well. Thanks for your replies and keep it above water. Jim
jim hays

splash well (motor well)

Post by jim hays »

come on guys Im busy cutting out pieces and would like to cut this one at the same time. Im sure these splash wells were all about the same size like I said I think the measurements I took from the shadows will do but would like to know how far into the boat the well protudes. Jim
john

Post by john »

If anyone has pictures and measurements for a 1960 Cruisers 16' 202 motor well, I would appreciate them also.
a j r

Post by a j r »

Hello,

I just looked at the 1959 Thompson Bros. Boat catalog. The three Sea Coaster models do not have splash wells in the brochure drawings nor are they mentioned (as they are with the Sea Lancer and larger models).

On the 1959 Peshtigo built Sea Lancer (17 ft.) I am currently restoring here are dimensions of the splash well at the transom:

width: 48 inches
depth protruding into boat: 17 inches

The bottom and sides are plywood with white oak support pieces underneath. The original sides were 1/4 inch but I used 3/8 inch plywood as replacement. She sits on top of the oak horizontal brace on the transom and angles slightly up. There is a solid mahogany board 3/4 inch thick to which she attaches at the front end. This forms a portion of the rear seat back rest. It goes from side to side of the hull and is screwed to cleats that in turn are screwed to the ribs.

Andreas
jim hays

splash well ?

Post by jim hays »

thanks andreas please watch your email I have trouble trying to post pic dont know why mabe Im useing the wrong description. I hope the pic get to you.
a j r

Post by a j r »

my email is: thompsonboat@msn.com

Andreas
jim hays

splash well

Post by jim hays »

thanks Andreas for the information and all others on this subject did not have this on my sea coaster. next problem is I dont like just a single strap for stiffness on the transom to the center stringer will thry to design something a little sstronger to help with the torque and weight of the neew motors. Again thanks everyone. Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

I just installed two knees from transom to stringers on my '59 Thompson Bros. (Peshtigo) Sea Lancer. Used 1 inch thick (actual) white oak.

Andreas
jim hays

Transom knees

Post by jim hays »

Did you fasten them to the bottom of the boat and also to the stringers? I like this approch, how long into the boat, White oak is great I have a large piece left over from makeing a new cross brace on the transom. Just did not like the brace sticking up the way it showed in the pictures I have seen. With this brace gone and a 65hp motor on the boat I feel the previous owner was very lucky it stayed together as bad as the transom is with rot. Thanks Andreas

Jim Hays
a j r

Post by a j r »

They are screwed to the interior of the transom (actually to a vertical brace that goes from the bottom of the boat to the horizontal cross-brace) and into the tops of the stringers. Two silicon bronze screws at each end #10 x 2 1/2"

The are curved (sawn) like a knee should be, 9 inches each direction, with an open portion between the transom and stringer. In other words an open knee.

Andreas
jim hays

braceing transom

Post by jim hays »

Thanks Andreas got my transom out today will start to replace thing again thanks Jim Hays