wood bleach

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

calvin

wood bleach

Post by calvin »

After sanding and staining several oak ribs on my 62 lapstrake project I noticed wherever the finish was down to bare wood turned black...is it too late to use wood bleach and try again? Thanks to all who moderate and post on this site..lots of friendly and knowledgable people!!
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Calvin,

You may have to sand and possibly use a stripper or some type of solvent to remove the stain as the oil will tend to keep the bleach from penitating the wood. Generally the interior of the Thompson boat where not stained. They where left batural and the varnsih would turn Golden with age.

Good Luck!

Phill
calvin

Post by calvin »

Thanks for the info..the oak ribs are a golden color...and the ply is a darker color very nice contrast...someone recomened oxalic acid as a bleach...is this a good practice...do you have to neutralize the bleach or acid before finishing?
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Calvin,

Just follow the directions on the container. I personally have not used it but do know it is one that is recommended for bleaching wood.

Phill
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Yes, I believe that it says on the wood bleach container to flush thoroughly with water... I have usually done this with a sloppy watery cloth to avoid using any more water than I needed to.....

You probably can just mop up the excess water with an old towel, to help keep the joints/laps as dry as possible.

John.
degerb

Wood Bleach

Post by degerb »

Calvin:
I used a 2 part bleach kit I purchased from Woodworker's Supply on my 20' Offshore fisherman. I found it more effective than just Oxyalic acid. Some black stains on wood are a bugger to get out completely, requiring several applications. Try not to sand too aggresively, between coats as the bleaching action is relatively thin.
Good luck Don