Just getting started

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

georgeb

Just getting started

Post by georgeb »

I got her home, apart and cleaned, somewhat.

I'm afraid this baby was "rode hard and put up wet"...literally.

My preliminary survey reveals: the keelson has soft spots, most of the frames between the sister keelsons have rot, the inside plys of the garboards and at least the aft portion of the next couple of planks are soft and have begun to delaminate, a number of ribs are broken in various spots (at the turn of the hull and in the middle of the garboards, among others), the keel has rot and a major "dimple" where it rested solely on a roller for several years. The boat is 5" shorter than specs. Since there is a rib about 1/2" in front of the transom (which is three-ply and not standard), I suspect she was shortened when the transom was replaced. There are two or three "patches" in the bottom. Everything on top will have to be replaced. There is also a 1/2" hook at the stern. The mahogany plank below the gunwale has also delaminated in several spots.

I was looking for a project but have waves of being overwhelmed. Having said all that, I still love her lines and want to see her back on the water

My initial plan (before I saw everything under the floorboards) was to flip the boat, sand the hull and replace what had to be replaced.

I realize I need to (1) replace the keelson, (2) replace bad frames, (3) replace the garboards (at least aft of maybe the windshield area), (4) replace several other planks (5) replace many ribs (I hope steam bending is as straightforward as everything I read leads me to believe) (6) sand and paint the hull and (7) rebuild the deck and interior.

My quandry is where to start. I assume I would start with the keelson and frame. Do I replace the ribs before or after I replace the garboards and other planks?

Here are some pictures. Ignore the "adult" beverage on the deck.

georgeb

Post by georgeb »

Just figured out the license plate deal. I may live in North Carolina but I am Tennesseean at heart.
George Barber
1961 Off-Shore
Montreat, NC
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Well, you have your work cut out for you. If you dont already have them, I recommend Don Danenbergs restoration books (I have the second volume where he addresses lapstrake boats, but intend to get the first as well). Also check out the forum at his site http://www.danenbergboatworks.com. You'll get alot of good advice here.

I will be flipping my boat this winter for some of the same reasons; some bad frames (the proper term for the ribs) up front, some delaminination of the garboard panels at the bow and stern, and the usual removal of the keel and stem caps to recaulk/seal the garboard panel seams. Hopefully I can get it done in time to have mine back in the water at the start of the season. Right now, I would not be comforatable leaving her in the water overnight.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

George- Sounds like you have a boat that has been shortened and had a transom replaced. This one sounds like it needs a complete bottom rebuild, as much as I love these boats i am not sure I would tackle one with this many probems, some in this club love rebuilding complete boats and frames but there are too many good boats out there being given away too for me to do a project of this scale.

I have restored several boats but have chosen solid hulls to begin with. One never knows what they are getting until surveying like you have, now you have the decision of investing the time to rebuild or move on to a hull that has more promise. Ribs can be sistered and minor delamination can be repaired, but a hull that has already been altered, to me is a major draw back. And I personaly am not willing to do a complete disassembly and replace all rib rebuild.

A friend of mine is trying to save a hull that has way too many repairs and will never be the same.

I have seen 4-5 boats lately for under 2,000.00 that have excellent hulls and need only cosmetic refurbishing and power.

Good luck keep us posted on your decision.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
degerb

Post by degerb »

Hi George:
First of all you have my utmost admiration for wanting to do a project like this! The first step in my judgement would to read Danenberg's books. Then make yourself a ledger sheet listing the pro's & cons of the project. Listing the things you know that are wrong with the boat. Trust me you'll find others that you can't see until you start disassembly. Then list the things that you are capable of doing, the things that you think you can learn and the things you don't have an inkling of. People like AJR, Peter and Dan and many others from this forum are a wealth of information, ask the questions even if they sound silly to you. Everyone will be glad to help. The other very important thing to consider is to locate someone that has had experience in restoring old Lapstrake boats in your area. Have him look at your boat project before you start. This is absolutely invaluable where you can gain, first hand one on one knowledge, before you start a project of this nature.
Good luck Don
a j r

Post by a j r »

FUN project! What is she?

Hook up with the local chapter of the Antique & Classic Boat Society (www.acbs.org). Start going to their events. Many chapters have educational workshops.

Get the major structural items taken care of first and foremost. Then and only then start doing "cosmetics."

Anderas
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

Thanks guys.

Andreas, she is a 1961 Peshtigo Off-Shore. There are more pictures under the "What do I have here?" forum.

I started this process looking for a project that would result in a usable family boat. I'm not really in for an accurate restoration. I'm willing to invest time and effort for a wood boat I can use 6-10 times per year. I have both of Danenberg's books and am reading them for the second time.

I calculated roughly that if I can repair the bottom without a complete rebuild, I can put the boat in a condition acceptable to me for $1,000 in materials. I have a trailer that I think is pretty good and just needs paint. I have a motor (1967 60 hp Evinrude) that is probably marginal. It turns but is missing one cylinder head.

Then I look on e-bay and see several complete and functional (running) boats for $1,000. Granted they are fiberglass and have nowhere near the character of my Thompson, but it does complicate the decision process.

I'll keep you posted.
George Barber
1961 Off-Shore
Montreat, NC
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

For me the decision would revolve around the time more so than the money. I dont have a lot of money, but I have less time. I think a project of that size, to make the boat safe, would require alot of time.

So, buy a fiberglass one to use while for the couple of years you are restoring the Thompson!!! What a great idea. Although, my wife didnt go for it when I tried it.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
georgeb

Post by georgeb »

Hi guys.

Shortly after my last post, I decided to change jobs. That pretty well stopped progress on my boat. We will be moving in the next couple of months, probably to the Birmingham area.

It didn't make sense to take it apart and then try and move it. I have been able to survey further and have concluded things are not a desolate as I first thought. I plan to proceed as long as we can find a house that is "boat-friendly." That would be a requirement for me but for some reason has a lower priority for my wife. Go figure.

In the meantine, I'm reading and enjoying everything written here.

George
George Barber
1961 Off-Shore
Montreat, NC