chrome paint

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim

chrome paint

Post by jim »

Has anyone tried chrome paint instead of chrome plating? I was wondering how good it would look and how durable it would be in comparrison. A company called ALSA corp makes a couple of different spray versions that sound pretty good ( if you can believe them). One comes in a can and the other requires a sprayer. Thanks for your input. Jim Sides
a j r

Post by a j r »

I used Plasti-Kote "Bumper Chrome" on some trailer hub caps. With tons of sanding, prime painting, and more sanding and more prime painting and final tops coats with sanding between coats they look OK. It was a LOT of work. They're just hub caps.

I would never dream of using this on boat parts such as cleats and chocks.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Chrome paint is not a replacement for new chrome, but it does spice up the look of pieces until you get to re chroming. I painted the bow ring on my 20' Seacamper, it was worn into the brass, with an aluminum paint because it had been repaired and I wanted to see if it was going to work or not. It actually looks more like the stainless trim more than chrome.
I am a big believer in if it looks correct and goes with the boat's patina thats better than worn looking parts. Paint will work until you reach that stage of re-chroming in your boats restoration.
Try soaking your chrome in BAM Lime and Grime remover then washing, you will be amazed how well this stuff cleans chrome, like new. Try cleaning first!
I have brought back pieces that looked horrible.
As my father told me "God is in the details"....
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas