Roll Over Prep

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Roll Over Prep

Post by thegammas »

I plan to roll over my sea lancer this winter for some bottom work that will include the standard removal of the keel/stem caps, reseal of the garboard seams, tighten/re-putty fasteners, and addressing some delamination of the bottom at the transom.

The question for this post is, do I need to worry much about reinforcing the boat with bracing and such to prevent and twisting? It will be blocked level and plumb on stands for the work. Just want to know if I should install bracing all over the place before I roll it.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter,
My 16 had braces on it when I got it already rolled over and I think those were more for supports for setting and supporting it on the trailer. If you are not removing transom then I think a minimum amount of bracing is needed, especially if you retain the slash well and deck when you flip. If that will be removed then I would add a brace across open cockpit.
Dan
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
a j r

Post by a j r »

I agree, not much needed if you keep the dashboard, splash well, deck on the boat.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I did brace my Seacoaster, although it was probably not necessary. I didn't know how much pressure there would be as I rolled it over on the side/edge. We removed the tires and put little furniture dollies (3) at the transom and front deck and this was handy for moving the boat a few feet here and there over the maybe four weeks I had it in my friend's shop.

Here is what it looked like.

John.
calvin

Post by calvin »

I have used rolls of used carpet and rolled carpet padding to support and cushion the boat for bottom work1
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Thanks All - The deck and splash well will remain in place. I think I'll add some braces as in Johns photos for good measure. I will have some full width stands in place when the work takes place to ensure it is plum and level to protect the shape of the hull (and my butt since I plan to be crawling around under it at some points)

Not till after the holidays though. I'll post pictures of course.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware