Lifting the motor for a rollover

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Lifting the motor for a rollover

Post by thegammas »

All ask the question first, then you can read the rest of the nonsense below. I am planning to flip my Sea Lancer for some bottom work. Can I take the windshield off in one piece? Or is that not advisable. I don't plan on doing anything to it, just need to get it out of the way.

I am finally getting on top of the "regular" work around the house and can now start looking at the boat for the upcoming season.

A few pics of lifting that heavy Merc off. I created a lifting point in the attic via a "T-Beam" made of a 2x4x8 and a 2x6x8 laying across the ceiling joists, shimmed level, and screwed in place, so that the weight of the motor was spread across several joists.

I moved the motor to the basement for some warmer work. Took 4 of us and some planks to roll the engine stand across the snow (the stand is on casters). It looks HUGE sitting in my shop.

Now trying to devise a lifting device for flipping the boat in place in the garage. Just don't like the idea of having to drop it on the ground and rolling it over, man handleing it back onto the trailer, then onto stands. Which is likely the way I'll go since I've seen everyone else do it with out a problem. But I just cant resist over engineering things.

Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I like the pictures of the hanging motor!

I am not sure if the Cortland windshield is attached the same as those of Peshtigo Thompson Boats and T & T Boats. If it is, here's the drill. The front portion is screwed from underneath the deck. These screws need to be removed. Also, the sides are screwed into the covering boards from above. The glass must be removed to reveal the screws.

And yes, it should be able to be removed in one pice. That's how I have done it.

Believe me, unless you want to do the boat flip on your own, it is so simple to get five other guys and just man handle it. It will take one minute! It will take more time to place padding down than it will to flip the boat by hand.

Andreas
Woody

Flipping Boat

Post by Woody »

Flipped my '66 Thomboy today. Three of us slid it off the trailer. One held tongue and others lifted at transom and rolled back about 4 feet. Tilted tongue up until transom rested on ground. Held bow up while daughter pulled trailer out. Lowered boat onto lawn. Used total of four men to roll over. Prior to rolling I fastened board across boat midway between dash and transom.
Rolling was easy. Picking up to put on carriage was tough with four. We had straps under boat. If you have a choice position yourself at the transom-it's a lot lighter than the bow. I picked the wrong end. When I do it again I'll have at least five: 2 at transom 2 near dash and 1 at bow.
Consider removing the steering wheel or risk damaging it. Any other hardware on the deck may get damaged as well.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

When flipping I leave the bow eye installed and the two eyes on the transom. I use a long metal rod and stick it thru the eye. It's probably 3/4" to 1" in daimeter. Came from a junk pile. Lift one end of the boat at a time. This gives good lifting points for a couple of people on each side.

I put masking tape around the metal eyes so the rod will not scratch 'em.

Andreas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Peter - great strapping job on engine, but most outboard engines have a lifting ring on top of engine when you remove cover, at least Evinrudes and Johnsons do. This will remove chance of damaging cover. Fun is just starting! Good luck
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Yep, mercs have a spot for a lifting ring. Didnt have one though and decided to just go with straps. Patience Patience I guess. I'm all a-dither (what ever that means) in anticipation of rolling her over. Lots of plans for the boat this year so I cant let it languish.
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware