Deck to side transition: not putting vinyl back on deck

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Deck to side transition: not putting vinyl back on deck

Post by Woody »

I'd like some suggestions and pictures if possible on the configuration of wood deck and rub rail. I do not plan on putting vinyl back on deck. How should the deck join the side and rail?
Is there a center strip to cover seam at front?
Where do seams occur?
Any other suggestions?
Thanx
[/url]
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here are a number of pictures of a 1965 Thompson Bros. Sea Lancer model 1800 that I restored a few years ago. They show the deck and king plank. This boat had vinyl covered deck and covering boards originally. I used new wood which was stained and varnished. The king plank was my own design, but mimicked closely what was typical from Thompson. It is abot 7 1/2" wide at the bow light and tapers in width to about 4". It stops just short of the windshield frame, about 48".

The vinyl gunwale rubrail molding is an exact match to what was used by Thompson Boat at that time. It's a stock item available from Wefco Rubber today.

Andreas
mengelmar

Post by mengelmar »

Woody, Here's how I did it. I originally planned on putting stainless rub rails outboard of the oak but the expense prevented me from doing it at the time. Judicious use of fenders have allowed me to go three seasons without any dings so I probably won't bother. Maybe as the kids get older and want to "drive" more :)

Definitely not a faithful restoration, but that's not what I set out to do.

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Here's the same boat on the day I brought her home. This is the condition in which I received her. The previous owner had removed the vinyl and other stuff and abandoned the project after a year. I took over and restored and later sold her.

Andreas
Bill E

Post by Bill E »

Larry,

Give me a call if you want to come down and take a look at my Sea Lancer in person. I'm just about at the point of flipping it -- maybe next weekend. This past week's weather was awful, and work had me tied up Saturday. I got a little touch-up stripping done today. Just wanted to offer while you can still see the deck without lying on your back! :-)

-wte
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA