Wood checking @ keelson

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Woody

Wood checking @ keelson

Post by Woody »

Picture of checking at keelson. This scrapes off without much effort. 1/8 inch deep maximum. How should I treat this area?
The plan is to add an additional piece of wood @ each side of keelson (8/4 or 6/4 white oak).

LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

In the second picture, it sure looks like decay to me.

Andreas
t3

Post by t3 »

Yeah...... Andreas is right. That's rot.

Your fix idea might work. But really the best thing to do would be to replace the keelson. You've already removed the garboards so you're halfway there. Take out the old one and use it as a template for the new one. It's not as hard as you might think.

If you leave the old one in and just sister to it, the rot ( which is probably pretty well established ) will continue to advance.Taking adjacent wood with it. In addition, the strength of the keelson has already been compromised and if left unchecked it will only get worse.The thing is, a repair like the one you've proposed could take just as long and cost just as much as doing it properly.

You should just bite the bullet and do it the right way.You'll end up with a stronger boat and be happier ( safer ) with the result
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I agree with Andreas and t3. It is rot and will only get worse with time. Also carefully check the ends of the ribs where they are srewed to the keelson. These may also have rot started and should be cut off to sound wood before replacing the keelson. You can widen the keelson to compensate for the amount of material cut off with in reason. teat everthing with CPES before reassembling to seal the wood and rerdue the chances of rot starting anew.

Good Luck!

Phill