cable steering

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

skip7083

cable steering

Post by skip7083 »

When older motors on a '59 vintage Thompson are replaced with a newer, more efficient motor, is it the general practice to also replace the cable/pulley steering with a newer, single cable design steering? I'd like to maintain the character of the boat but need to replace the outboard
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I do not know if brand new outboard motors can even be set up for cable/pulley steering systems. You'd have to check with some boat/motor dealers. The guys on the FAQ forum at www.aomci.org might know.

There is nothing wrong with cable/pulley steering. It works fine. That's what is on all my boats. Even up to a 110 HP Merc. I have it on my '57 Sea Lancer with twin 1957 Johnson 35 HP motors.

If you keep the old system, just make sure you replace the cable. You can get it at Home Depot etc...

Andreas
Arnie Brulhardt

Cable Steering

Post by Arnie Brulhardt »

All I know is I still use the original cable steering set that was original to the boat. It always works fine, no problems. Take a look at my site, I have a few pics of my 2003 Merc 4 stroke with the cable steering. http://www.home.earthlink.net/~oldspiker It's under the " New Memorys" link.

Bye, Arnie