my "new" Thompson cabin cruiser

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

LancerBoy

my "new" Thompson cabin cruiser

Post by LancerBoy »

Here's the latest addition to the family! She's a 1959 Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co. (Peshtigo) Off-Shore Cabin Cruiser with 18'-8" centerline length. She is cute, but boy oh boy does she need work! You can guess what I will be doing this winter!!!

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Andreas,

Looks like a nice find, althought in need of a lot of work. Cann't wait to see pictures of her while your are working on her and when she is done. What are you planning on using for propulsion?
Keep us posted.

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

She came with a 1978 Chrysler 105 HP. I will not use it. I have a 1963 Merc 1000 that is a possibility or a 1967 Merc 1100. I also have a 1960 Dockbuster 80 HP Merc that is possible. Alto I really do not want to have a motor with no neutral.

Anderas
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Welcome to the cuddy cabin club! I love the cabin top color! Nice project.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Sheil Kottkamp

Post by Sheil Kottkamp »

Andreas, looks like you had a great weekend bringing home your "new" Thompson. We did however miss your smiling face at the Geneva Lakes ACBS Blackhawk Chapter boat show, perhaps we'll see your cabin cruiser there in 2009? Looks like it will be great fun restoring her, cabin offers all kinds of custom ideas. Sheil in Chicagoland.
Rookie
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

AJR, go for the Merc 1000 or 1100 - I agree with you that I cant see operating a boat with a motor with no nuetral. They call them dockbusters for a reason (though I have never driven one).
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

It has been a couple of months any updated photos? It is getting cold up here in Maine need something to take my mind off the weather.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I've barely touched it. Just too busy with this damn work thing. I cleaned her up, have removed all hardware, the helm station, foot rest, and the floor. I have started to remove the cabin bulkhead. I've sat in her on my thinkin' stool and contemplated a great deal too!

I did get the hardware rechromed. That is usually a many months process because of long backlogs so I decided to hit it early. The chromer, like so many businesses, is hurting, so they could get this project out in a few days. It looks great.

Soon there should be more progress on the autopsy.

It's cold and dark in Minnesota and my motivation is lacking.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Oh boy. The forum is working again.

Got the cabin bulkhead out. Finally broke the cabin roof loose. Did a bit of damage along the way - oh well.

I'm plugging along very slowly.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Rock on AJ! - looking forward to pics
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
George

Post by George »

Andreas - dumb restoration question re: the horizontal split you have in the cabin side (most visible in the photo of the starboard side, helm forward). How do you repair that? You're probably removing / dismantling the entire cabin top & sides. Just glue and clamp or do you use dowels also?

Is there a satisfactory repair method that can be accomplished without completely dismantling the cabin top?

George
George
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The cabin top is off. Had to take it off to do the restoration. The two pieces of mahogany at the cabin sides originally were doweled and glued. Most of the glue was long gone and the dowels on the starboard side were broken.

I shall do the same thing with the dowels and glue when it come time to rebuild this beast.

Andreas
gts

Post by gts »

Hi Andreas! I was just checking to see if you had posted any updates on your cabin cruiser project. I've got the interior of my 1966 20'+ Off-Shore Cabin Cruiser out and discovered that I've got a lot more work to do than I had planned - the transom is going to have to be replaced in addition to many ribs.

Somebody added a plywood 48"x14" patch to the transom, probably when the original two Johnson outboards were removed and the current Johnson 175 outboard installed. Is that extra 1/4 inch thickness necessary for mounting a newer outboard or would you just rebuild the transom to its original 2" thickness? Even with the extra plywood, the transom is bowed out 3/4" just across the 6' engine cutout width.

What thickness lumber are you planning to use for your transom rebuilding? Would there be an advantage to using thinner hardwood and adding a plywood core in the middle (other than the lower materials cost)?

I can't find a hull number of the starboard interior transom so I wonder if I'm looking at the original or somebody's rebuild. Since the oak beam on the interior runs crosswise, the seams of the hardwood glued up for the transom should run vertical and completely overlap interior v exterior pieces? And screws are what holds it together, with 5200 to keep the water out?

George
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have not touched the boat in a year or more. I walk around it daily however to get to the other side of the garage. I have a few more days of refinsihing work on a different boat and then I will get back at the cabin cruiser.

I may sandwich a thin piece of marine plywood between the horizontal and vertical solid boards of the transom. 3M5200 and screw it all together. If I make the transom thicker than the original it will not be by much. The original transom is made up of two boards 7/8 inches each = 1 3/4 inch total thickness.

I would think it would be pretty easy to determine if your boat's transom is factory original or not. Interior boards are vertical and exterior boards are horizontal. Screwed toeghter from the inside. Philippine mahogany solid lumber.

Andreas