Steering Problems

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Atwater

Steering Problems

Post by Atwater »

Hi All ,

Just got my new Teleflex Helm/cable ( I thought it be best to replace it all vs. hunting haystacks for a replacement cable ).

Anyway even though the published specs seemed that it would fit it doesn't seem to be the case . The steering shaft is about 1 3/4" short . :?

The original helm has no identification on it . Where might a replacement cable be found ? HELP !!!! :cry:

This could be a major setback for a Labor day launch . Bummer !

Thanks ,
Scott
Atwater

Post by Atwater »

Well , after a couple brewski's , I've resigned myself to "Out with the old and in with the new ". Actually gonna gain a couple inches legroom and the blackplastic bezel don't look all that bad . Preliminary fit of the cable , seems it would have been nice to have a 12 ft cable vs. the 13 , but that was as short as they come in that model . I still have some mount issues at the transom . Must be a kit . I spent better than an hour trying to get thru to tech support . Try again tomorrow

How did they run cables/pulleys on the cabin cruisers ? ( just curious )
Scott
Rodney Syverson

Post by Rodney Syverson »

Scott: Not sure if were talking the same steering system but I installed a Teleflex Safe-T NFB steering system in my 62 Sea Lancer. I too was coming up long or short on the cable. I needed a 14"3" cable and I discovered they did not custom make them to length. I knew a 15' cable would create just as many problems as to what to do with the extra cable just as much as having a cable too short. I solved the problem by rotating the Helm 180 degrees so that the cable would exit the helm to the left instead of the right. I then determined how many more feet of cable I would need to make a 270 degree loop on the inside of the bow right under the deck support structure and come back along the Right Hand Gunwhale. It figured out to be 21' of cable which was a stock length. Worked out perfectly. No the motor does not turn opposite the steering wheel by doing this.
Not sure what motor you have but on my new Evinrude they supplied a link for the steering with the motor. Hope this Helps.
Good Luck
Rod