Removing Decal on Varnish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Moose

Removing Decal on Varnish

Post by Moose »

I have a 1940's TVT Hydroplane Runabout which has a 3.5' varnished deck. Sometime in the past, an owner placed a Thompson Better Built Boats decal on the deck. It did not adhere well, so the owner put wide clear tape(acrylic adhesive tape-I believe) on. It doesn't belong there, and I want it off!
I tested pulling up a corner, and it seems okey, varnish fine and not lifting. The boat has been stored a long time, so it appears theres no UV ghosting, etc.
What's my best bet, hair dryer on low & go Real Slow? Cleaning residue off varnish with Goop hand cleaner, or ?? Thanks!! Don
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Moose,

I would try the hair dryer and see what happens. It should soften the adhesive enough to be able to pull the tape off. You can then try some mineral spirits paint thinner to remove any residual adhesive left on the varnish. Rub lightly after allowing the thinner to soften the adhesive residue. If need be place a clean cotton cloth over the residue that is wet with mineral spirits to help soften the adhesive residue after the tape has been removed. Then wipe lightly with the cloth turning it so you are working with a clean area of the cloth until the reisdue is gone. Worst case is that you will have to re-varnish the deck if the gloss is lost in the process. The gloss should not be effected by the mineral spirits, it would be more from rubbing if anything.

Good Luck,

Phill
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

You can also try isopropyl alcohol.. I know that doesn't eat into the varnish.... I use a water dampened cloth, with some alcohol also to go over the varnished areas on my boat. It cleans off bedding compund w/o harming the finish.

Seems to me that Min Spirits might take the gloss off.... but I am not sure about that.
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Actually.. it was denatured alcohol... sorry....
tcvc

Re: Removing Decal on Varnish

Post by tcvc »

Hello, you didn't happen to take a picture of this decal did you ??
Moose wrote:I have a 1940's TVT Hydroplane Runabout which has a 3.5' varnished deck. Sometime in the past, an owner placed a Thompson Better Built Boats decal on the deck. It did not adhere well, so the owner put wide clear tape(acrylic adhesive tape-I believe) on. It doesn't belong there, and I want it off!
I tested pulling up a corner, and it seems okey, varnish fine and not lifting. The boat has been stored a long time, so it appears theres no UV ghosting, etc.
What's my best bet, hair dryer on low & go Real Slow? Cleaning residue off varnish with Goop hand cleaner, or ?? Thanks!! Don