Deck board and spray rail

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

jim hays

Deck board and spray rail

Post by jim hays »

Hi guys Im back, what I need to know is on what lap board do you install the spray rail on, on a 59 Sea Coaster? I say the third board and not the fourth it does no good to have it set under water and expect to have it work unless Im wrong. Next question the board that goes down the center of the deck is made out of what? How log,wide,thick? I believe probably a mahogany board and not plywood. Somewhere along the life of this boat in one of its redos this board was left out because they wanted to have what I call zebra stripeing on the deck anyway I want to put it back to Orginal to some degree. Thanks for your answers and time. Keep it bove the water Jim.
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Jim,

It goes on the fourth white board below the shearstrake. Here's a
link to a photo of my '59 Coaster.

Jim
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Jim,

On the SeaCoaster Runabout it was mahogany plywood. The piece was 4-3/16 wide at the bow and widened to 5 inches wide at the edge of the deck in the cabin. Overall length was 70-3/4", but I cut mine oversize and used a router to make flush with the deck. The sides of the plywood were slightly beveled (I gave the larger dimension above).

This shows the original piece before replacement. My bow light was mounted one inch back from the front of the deck, and the front of the cleat was 27-3/4" from the front of the deck.

Jim
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

Thanks Jim (sounds like a echo here) I like the way you did the teal color behind the logo just paint no board unless my eyes have decieved me. My logo was on the top board faded into the mahogany kind of hard to sand out. Just waiting for the temp to drop and will be able to cpes the inside of the boat and will roll it over and finish sanding it off, Maybe tuesday morning. Again thanks. Jim
a j r

Post by a j r »

The king plank was made of plywood on the boats up to a certain year and then Thompson changed to solid mahogany. So it depends upon the year of your boat.

And yes, the blue/teal behind the chromed logos is painted right onto the hull. It is NOT on a seperate board attached to the planking.

Andreas
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

Jim... I have a 1960 Seacoaster and thought the same thing as you about the usefulness of the spray rail, as it dips below the waterline....

However, when my boat is up on plane, I can lean over the side and see that they work perfectly... water/foam/wake all flushes up and hits the spray rail, and the entire rail is visible back to the transom. No water above, and white spray underneathe.

John Hart.
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

Thanks John, It just bugs me being so low in the water, I will put it back on when the time comes and in the proper place. I have had other boats and the spray rail was not so low. We will be taking off friday to a couple of different lakes for some rr this old body is wearing out and just needs some time fishing. got the inside of the boat (waterline level cpes painted on) will put in the new transom when I get back, will be gone for a week. finally got on the yahoo site sure glad you survived the unwanted swim. anyway thanks to all on this subject and really KEEP IT ABOVE WATER jim hays
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

OOPS, SORRY jOHN GOT YOU AND TXCAPTDAN MIXED UP like I said I need some fishing time either that or the cpes got me. Jim
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

OK, I cant get the point sometimes, BUT if everyone would look at the boat picture being featured on yahoo.com (classicoutboard) you will see why I asked my orginial question about the spray rail. (this kind of thing bugs me) yes I know its not the same year but it looks like it was put in the proper spot third board and it is out of the water. Anyway a very and I do mean very nice boat. Well I guess I will give you guys a little rest and go load the MH and boat for the fishing trip. Jim
JRPfeff

Post by JRPfeff »

Jim,

That is a Sea Lancer - different boat. I have seen some boats that appear to be Coasters with the rails on the higher lap, but they may have been built with the wide board lap-chine construction.

Do you see any screw holes on the 3rd or 4th boards on your boat that coincide with the spray rails? That is how I determined the proper location for mine. The holes on my rails aligned perfectly with the holes in the hull.

Jim
jim hays

Post by jim hays »

thanks jim I know where they go I took them off just dont like having them set under water mine was on the 4th board just wanted some others input being new at doing a wooden boat thanks. just found another problem with my boat will take care of it when I roll it over. Up towards the front it looks like they tried to use it to plow with and discovered a few drips comeing out the bottom when I cpes the iinside on what would be under the floor this area and under the das will be painted white. Again thanks jim
jim hays

Deck board and spray rail Post #27

Post by jim hays »

AJR I know you cant be every where at one time but would you please remove the recent respone to this (nothing but filth) Thanks Jim Hays