Deck rib supports on early Thompson

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tcvc

Deck rib supports on early Thompson

Post by tcvc »

Andreas,
Question, I'm plugging away on my 1932 TVT, I pulled the tounge and groove decking off and am replacing the old deck supports (ribs). I made the new ones out of white oak just like the old ones, the first couple which were the longest were not to bad I was able to flex the 3/8 oak enought to fasten them but the closer I get to the bow the shorter they are and I can't bend them to fasten them down. My question is it looks like now I will have to build a steam box to bend these few, right ?? Also am I going to have problems down the road with the longer ones that I have already fastened ?? should I unfasten them and steam bend them too, or leave well enough alone?? Finally, is there an easy way to make a steam box, for just 2 pieces of oak??
Thanks,
Tim
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Can you just cut curved pieces out of straight stock?

My steam box is 2 inch think pink insulation and duct tape. Works fine.

Andreas
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

That's a idea but I kinda like to keep them all uniform. I see they had used rib stock forn thiers. what about the longest ones that I already have attached, you think they will be ok?? If I make a steam box, once I styeam them do I just attcah them straight out of the steam box, or do I have to use a mold ??
Thanks
LancerBoy wrote:Can you just cut curved pieces out of straight stock?

My steam box is 2 inch think pink insulation and duct tape. Works fine.

Andreas
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I can't say if what you already installed will keep its shape.

Probably need to create a jig/mold for the hot steam bent wood. I don't know how you would get the correct shape by installing it right from the steam box into the boat. Is there anything on the boat to determine the shape? You mentioned you removed the decking.

Andreas
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

Andreas thanks for getting back to me. I thought about it all night and decided it wasn't a chance I was willing to take. I pulled the couple off I had fastened and was glad I did, they seemed to be putting a lot of stress on the cross members. I will steam bend all of them. I just got done making my steambox and am now looking for a means of heat. The white oak is 3/8 inches thick by 1 1/2 wide once the steam starts rolling how long do I cook it for ?? (speaking of heat, they are talking high 90s tomorrow) This is new for me but hey, looks like fun, I've done some restorations on my Lyman and am in the process of making a Glen L boat, but haven't needed a stweam box til now. Thanks again for getting back to me, it's great that there is sites like this out there.
regards,
Tim
LancerBoy wrote:I can't say if what you already installed will keep its shape.

Probably need to create a jig/mold for the hot steam bent wood. I don't know how you would get the correct shape by installing it right from the steam box into the boat. Is there anything on the boat to determine the shape? You mentioned you removed the decking.

Andreas