Stern light

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

tschuepp

Stern light

Post by tschuepp »

working on a '62 Sea Lancer and need a All-around stern light source. Would like it in chrome. Also need the rubber inserts for steppads.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Watch auctions on ebay and look at craigs list advertisements. You will never find new white step pad inserts. You'll have to find some old ones or be creative and make new white ones out of some rubbery type material. Don't use black ones, they just don't look correct on a Thompson.

Also go to classic boat shows and antique outboard motor events. Often these gatherings have swap meets.

Find a boat junk yard and take a look at what may be available.

Don't just focus on Thompson boats. Look at other brands. Many builders used the same hardware. Not sure which brand stern light was used by Thomspon of Peshtigo in 1962. Might be: Attwood, Kainer, Wilcox-Crittenden, Jervis, or ???

Andreas
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Andreas,
Didn't the boat dealer install all the hardware or could they order a boat with or without hardware? If so, then original hardware could certainly have come from almost any supplier. For example, I've seen many "original" Thompsons that had the Thompson steering wheel, but I have also seen some (and own one) that had an Attwood glitter wheel.

Verne :wink:
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

W Guy,

Thompson did not have there own hardware other then the step pads adn steering whell certer piece which had the Thompson logo on them. Most of the harware was from Atwood or one of the other manufaturer's of hardware.
Boats could be ordered with the hareware installed from the factory if so desired or the dealers would order the boats for stock without the hardware and install it at the shop with what ever brand they carried. In this way the dealer could make more dollars on the hardware items compared to factory installed items.

Phill
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

Thanks Phil. That's just what I thought. It's no different than a Chevy dealer who installed the radio at his dealership at a higher profit than if he'd RPO'd it and just received his mark-up off sticker.

Verne :wink:
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Pre-1960 boats by Thompson of Peshtigo came with very little hardware from the factory as standard items on the boat. It also depended upon the model. For example, the 1960 Sea Coaster Special and Sea Coaster Runabout did NOT come standard with windshield frame, steering wheel or any hardware. It all could be ordered from the factory as accesories. Or, the dealer could buy the boat bare bones and install their own hardware and windshield frame.

The 1960 Sea Lancer from Peshtigo came standard with windshield frame, steering wheel and steering set up, navigation lights, cleats, and chocks. Step pads were not standard.

Andreas
tcvc

Post by tcvc »

I had to replace the step pads on my Lyman, I bought the standard blanks which were a tad bigger and trimmed them on my table saw making the little lip edge and all, they look fine.
Like Andreas says Craigs List is a good place to check for just about anything. A neat little trick that will widen your search is go to google type in Criags List, then in that search box type what you are looking for, someone may have it in another state or city and be willing to ship it to you.Like