PAINT and VARNISH ??

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

PAINT and VARNISH ??

Post by JALL »

Has anyone ever tried to remove paint or varnish with a soda blaster? It's supposed to be softer than glass bead or sand. Harmless to the environment too. Thanks
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

I myself have not tried to blast off paint and varnish using soda. I do know that anytime you use a sandblaster with no mater what media on wood you can raise the grain. Wood has hard and soft fibers in it and these erode at different rates which causes the gaining effect offten wanted in sign work or furniture, but not on a boat. Cedar and mahogany are soft woods that will erode quickly at almost any pressure and grit used. Varnish and paint are harder then the wood itself, so to cut thru them you stand a good chance of eroding the wood first where the finish is thin or not presant.

Using a safe non-toxic liquid or paste stripper is the best, but not always the fastest. Toxic strippers generally work faster, but one needs to be careful when using them. I have used Strip-X spray stripper with good results, but it is very toxic and will burn you skin. Safety gear is needed for any toxic stripper along with plenty of fresh air and ventilation.

There is no short cut to stripping varnish and paint that will not effect the look of the wood when completed. Take you time and you will be happier with the results.
When it come to working on wood boats speed is not a factor until it is done and on the water.

Good Luck,

Phill
Bill E

Post by Bill E »

DO NOT sand or sandblast the old paint on these boats. It's lead-based paint and it's a serious neurotoxin that takes only tiny amounts to start doing damage, especially to children age 6 & under and to the unborn. As a remodeling contractor, the EPA has just gotten serious with us about raising these hazards in the homes we work on, and the same principles apply here. The main idea is to avoid doing anything that will turn the lead-based paint to dust. Dust will be inhaled, absorbed through the skin, carried on clothing, skin, and shoes. It will also be blown around and contaminate other areas.

My MINIMUM recommendations: Do the work outside. Wear gloves, maybe doubled-up. Use chemical strippers. I posted a comparison of several a couple of years ago, but among the less-caustic non-methylene chloride strippers, I'd still go with the Back To Nature brand. I found some at a local Ace Hardware. Don't eat, smoke, or drink anywhere around your work. Change your clothes and wash them separately from the rest of the family's laundry. Don't track lead paint dust or residue into the house on your shoes. WASH YOUR HANDS after working with it.

I know I'm sounding alarmist, but YES, it's that bad.

More info at http://epa.gov/lead
Bill Eason
Atlanta, GA