Rib Material ??

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

Rib Material ??

Post by JALL »

When you buy rib material is it pre formed on the sides so all you need to do is cut to length and bend. If not it seems to me that in order to get into this boat restoration thing you need a lot of tools. Unless you are already into wood working. The same thing for other parts that need to be to replaced, a lot of shaping and forming before the piece is actually ready to use. Am I right or wrong? I hope I'm wrong! Thanks Jim
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

There are no stores where you can buy wooden boat components. You will have to make the items yourself or hire it out to a millwork or woodworking shop.

Basic woodworking tools are all you need. Hammers and screw drivers and chisels, sander, drill and bits, router, jig saw, circular saw, and table saw. You can even get by without a band saw. I don't have one and I have restored many boats.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

Check around with some of your buddies they may have some of the larger cost tools you might need and maybe you can either barrow them or have them give you a hand with some of the work. If someone you know has a table saw offer them a six pack or two or what ever their taste is too give you a hand and rip some ribs fro you out of white oak. Who knows they may also be interested in give you a hand withthe restoration. If you ask the worst they can say is no not interested, ut until you ask you will never know.

Also buy as many books as you can on restoring boats and boat repair. The Wooden Boat Store has some and the best ones I have found at the ships store on the Antique and Classic Boat Society website. Read then over a couple time and keep them handy for reference when do the work. You can always look back into the arhcives on this section of the Dockside or ask the questions here in the form and you will get a lot of ideas of how other people have handled their repairs and restoration.

It is a labor of love, it takes time and some money to make a great old boat as good as new or even better. Never rush when working on these grand old ladies, they like to be carressed and stroked with a gentle hand and love in your heart.

Good Luck,

Phill