2 types of restoration

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

2 types of restoration

Post by JALL »

I think that I have found in research that two kinds of restoration are possible. Would I be right in saying that first someone needs to decide if he or she is going to use the boat or show the boat? Don't some restorations just cover up what you have and others take the boat apart and refinish every piece of the boat. The first is quick and least expensive. I realize that the long way around is the prefered and best way to go. Thanks
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

First and foremost you must make the boat seaworthy. This means replacing bad wood whether decayed or split or broken. Don't just pour some goop into problem areas.

Whatever you do, you don't want to "just cover up" what's there. If the boat needs to be taken apart and rebuilt because of major problems, do it. Seaworthiness and safety are your prime consideration.

For making the boat show worthy and if your intent is to try and win awards, you will have to make her look like she came from the factory or dealer's showroom. Same colours, same accessories, same upholstery (if any), etc.... If there is wiring, it should be the exact same type as original. You'll have to have the same year motor as the boat. You can look at judging guidleines at www.acbs.org

If you don't care about juding and awards, you can do pretty much anything you want to the boat.

By the way, there never has been and there never will be judging and awards at the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

JALL,

Yes, there are two way to do a restoration. The right way and the right way.

All kidding aside, there is the restoration taking the boat back to Factory Specs, which is done for boats people want to use and put into Judged Boat Shows.
The other is to do restorations to repair and replace any damaged or rotted wood to bring it back to as good as original or better then original condition without concern if the work will exactly duplicate the original construction. These restorations often may add features the owner would like to add which where not original to that model boat from the factory.
In either case the boat will always be a boat that will be used and not just a show room setter.

Also restorations should never cover up a problem. To do a cover up is called a patch and not restoration and that is not something you want to do patch a boat. Except if something happens while on the water and you need to patch the hull to keep it afloat and functional until you can get to safe habor to do a correct repair or restoration. Restoraton should fix the problem weather it be sistering in new ribs next to those that may be cracked or have a bad spot in them to replacing the rib itself or replacing planking or a keel.

You need to decide if you want to show the boat in Judged Shows or show it in Non-Judged Shows. Judged shows you can win plaques or trophies and possibly money. In a non-judged show you are there to show off your boat and not worry about weather the other guys boat is going to beat yours or not.
Our Thompson Ralley's have all been non-judged shows where everyone is enjoying being there to look at other peoples boat restorations and find out what they did and enjoy talking with other Thompson owners and taking the boats out for a spin on the Menominee river and Green Bay. In either case the boat will be a user.

Good Luck with your restoration.

Phill
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

My take on this is along the lines of Andreas. I am going to get my Cruiser's Inc seaworthy, all mechanicals/electricals functional and in the water before I get too carried away with a lot of period correct cosmetic work. And it may end up that I do a good job but not an OEM correct one and still have a nice looking boat that I enjoy. Time will tell.

Brian