Book Recommendations ?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

THE LAKE

Book Recommendations ?

Post by THE LAKE »

My apologies if there already exists a thread on this topic, but I did a seach and came up empty.

Are there any good books out there on "How To" restore a wooden boat ? I'm sure must be, so what I'm looking for here are opinions of books folks have bought. Were they helpful ? Clear and detailed ? Lots of photos and good tech write-up ?

Thanks
Brian
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Brian,

Three good bocks that I have purchased and have found helpful are as follows:
"Frame, Stem & Keel Repair" in the Wooden Boat series by Peter H. Spectre
"Repairs" by Walter J. Simmons
"Finishing" Second Addition by Walter J. Simmons

All of these books I purchased thru Wood Boat Store at: www.woodenboat.com

They have many books on repairing and restoring boats which are all helpful.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The Don Danenberg "Runabout Restoration" is very good. It focuses upon inboard carvel planked boats but has some lapstrake material. It is a good primer on any wooden boat restoration.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

LancerBoy wrote:The Don Danenberg "Runabout Restoration" is very good. It focuses upon inboard carvel planked boats but has some lapstrake material. It is a good primer on any wooden boat restoration.

Andreas
My wife gave me a copy of this book for my birthday yesterday. I have not put it down since unwrapping it. Already I understand some of the comments made about gooping up the wood with solid resins and many other answers to some of the questioins I've asked here on the forum as well as detailed information with photos on things I would have been asking once started on the actual work next spring.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Don's book is great. I read it 2-3x before deciding to go ahead and purchase a wooden boat. It scared me off at first. but now I am actually kind of comfortable with the thing.

Enjoy the read, its a fun one!

EDIT; Happy belated birthday!