How to remove the Stringers/Sister keelson

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

sayuncle

How to remove the Stringers/Sister keelson

Post by sayuncle »

I have a late 40's TVT and I am in the process of replacing the short ribs that run between the stringers. These short ribs are nailed to the stringers from the bottom. Are the stringers just held in place by these nails?? Were the stringers attached before cedar strips were screwed on? How do I attach the new ribs to the stringers?? I was thinking about screwing from the outside with longer screws on the end on the rib where it meets the stringer. Thanks for any insight!
Brad K
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nails were used in the factory for a quick connection while hot, steam bent ribs were being installed. The workers had to get these things in very fast before they cooled down and could not longer be bent. Literally a few seconds.

Afterwards they came back and drilled and put screws in. So there most likely are screws in additon to the nails attaching the ribs to the keelson and stringers.

The boat was built upside down on a form. First the keelson and stringers and stem are set in place. Next came the ribs and then transom. After the skeleton is built, planking is attached.

There are some pictures here on this forum of some boats being built. They are lapstrake boats, but the process is the same for strip-built boats.

Screwing in from the bottom of the planking is your only option unless you remove the planking. Can't see any harm in your proposal.

Andreas
sayuncle

Post by sayuncle »

Andreas, the only concern would be if I would ever want to remove the stringers in the future. This would now be impossible since I am considering on fiberglassing up to the spray rail. The only reason to remove in the future would be for rot repair; which 'should' not be a problem again. The stringers must have been steam bent before the boat was assembled. Thanks for the reply.
Brad K