cable steering???

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

JALL

cable steering???

Post by JALL »

I've been told it is against the law for the local marine dealers to work on cable steering. Is it that bad (dangerous) ? If it is, do most classic boat owners change over? THANK YOU
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I have seen this mentioned before, and to my knowledge it is not true. As long as it maintained properly it is just as safe as any other kind of steering. That is what I have on my '59 Sea Lancer and I have had no problems at all.
The Coast Guard Auxillary was doing volentary inspections at the boat landing last year and told me mine was the first one to pass out of 6 boats they had already inspected.
I can't imagine why they would outlaw this type of steering but allow them to put out boats that go over 70 MPH and consider them safe with other boaters around.
But this is just my oppinion.
Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I have heard this rumor before as well. That's all it is as far as I know, a rumor.

Replace the cable - you can get it at any big box home center or hardware store. The springs may need replacement. Use old style screen door springs. Check the pulleys. Check the cable clamps.

I have cable-pulley steering on all my power boats. From a 35 HP to 110 HP. It's on my '57 Sea Lancer with twin 35 HP Johnsons. Never any problems and works fine. It's on my '66 Chris-Craft by Thompson Corsair with 100 HP Evinrude. Works great.

Andreas
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

I think that some of the marine dealers that do not care to work on the cable systems say that so they can sell you a new system rather then repair the cable system on your boat. I have yet to have a cable or a pulley break when under way, but I have had friends that have had problems with the single cable systems when under way.
Maintence is the key to any system. Examine the cable, pulleys and steering wheel cable hub and repair or replace the items that look worn. The cables plastic coating in time will become brittle and can cause hard steering as can bad pulleys.
As Anreas said replace the cable that is number one. Then check and repalce the pulleys if they are broken or binding, these can be replaced with the pulley that are sold for use with remote anchor winding systems for small fishing boats. The springs are the same thing used as a check spring for a storm door when using a self-closer. Clamps are available thru West Marine and may other marine supply firms.

Good Luck

Phill