Fiberglassing a TVT

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

sayuncle

Fiberglassing a TVT

Post by sayuncle »

Looking for anybody who has applied fiberglass to a TVT. I still have not decided if this is a good option. All opinions and experiences welcome!!!
Brad K
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

sayunlce,

I do not recommend fiberglassing a wood boat.
Yes, Thompson did offer a fibeglass overlay on te TVT boats from the early 50's , but that was because Fiberglass Boats where coming out and they did not want to change the way they made boats. (That was a big mistake in the long haul on their part.) The fiberglass offered the new buyers the low up keep of fiberglass and the weight and comfort of a wood boat. That was a big mistake in my book. The thought of low maintence and up keep made people forget it was a wooden boat. When water penitrates the wood of a boat with a fiberglass overlay the wood remain wet for to long and can case rot to start and if it is under the fiberglass it is not noticed until it is to late. Then major restoration will need to be done.

My own thoughts are to have a good coat/ coats of paint on the outside and the same for the varnish on the inside and bright work and keep water out of it as much as possible and you will have a boat that will last a life time or two. One needs to spend the time and energy to keep the boat in good condition to enjoy the end results which to me are the enjopyment of riding in a wood boat on the water and the comments you get from everyone at the dock and marina on the looks and lines of your wood boat. That can not be bet.

I have one of my TVT's that came from the factory withthe fiberglass from spray rail to spray rail and I have ot be sure I watch the bottom to look for any cracks or chips and get them repaired as soon as possible beofre the wood can become saturated. Also the varnish on th einterior needs to be watched closely for any signs of water getting in from below.

There are times I think about stripping the glass off and going with a few good coats of paint instead. That might happen after I retire and have more time to devote to my boats.

Good Luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I agree with Phill, don't do it!

Maybe not you, but some future owner will curse the fiberglass.

Andreas
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Yep, "glas" might look good in the short term but it's the death knell for a wood boat
Joe B
sayuncle

Post by sayuncle »

I don't think I need to ponder this decision anymore. Repair and paint!! Thanks for the input, glad I joined the forum!!
Brad K