Tilt Pump replacement

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Dave H

Tilt Pump replacement

Post by Dave H »

I have a 1964 Sea Lancer Deluxe with a Mercruiser 120 I/O. The tilt pump needs to be replaced, but I am having trouble finding a compatible pump. Originals are no longer available, no surprise there. Any help is greatly appreciated!
TheCaptain

Post by TheCaptain »

Can you rebuild it? I just had a gasket blow out on mine (it's an outboard merc w/external trim/tilt pump) and it wasn't that tough to replace the o-rings & seals in it.

I do understand that there are some components with high precision valves and gearing that cannot be rebuilt if they're bad.

My local certified Merc mechanic was able to order all of the o-rings & seals (kind of). A guy at West Marine told me he rebuilt the same type of unit using o-rings from Ace Hardware (mentioned specialty o-rings section or something).

I also had to buy a SELOC manual for that motor which walks you through the process. They have trouble shooting instructions from the control on down the line. IMO it's good to have for any motor I own (it serves as a user's manual too).

Also, I called Mercury for assistance and the guy told me they have a separate dep't for older motors and such. Maybe give them a try.

Good Luck!