Jacking a hog out of the bottom

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

larryejoh

Jacking a hog out of the bottom

Post by larryejoh »

I have a slight hog forward of the transom. My boat is in my garage on stands now. What can I wet the wood with when I jack it back in line. I am stripping the paint and treating with CPES. I hate dumbing water it to wet the wood down at this point.

Larry
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Larry,

WATER is the only thing you can use. You will need to soak the wood with water not just wet the wood. I would suggest soaking the wood for some time with water prior to trying to jack it back into shape. Also you will most likely need to slightly over jack the hug as it will most likely relax back when the pressure has been removed.
Once jack it will need to be left wet for a prior of time then the water removed and allowed to dry slowly and completely before removing the jack pressure.
What ever portion of the hug is not removed at that time will have to be corrected with either fairing compound or replacing of the keel and keelsons. Then the CEPS and finish are applied.

My own thoughts are that replacing the Keel & Keelsons is the best way to take care of a hug. When this is done you know the hug will be gone.
Jacking can work but then again it may not and it will take time to get the wood soaked and dried.

It is probably the same amount of time to do it the right way which I feel is to replace rather then try to bend the wood back into shape.

Remember it has take many years for that hug to form and the wood would have been damp when this happened and now to remove it is going to take time and effort.

Good Luck,

Phill
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

So my question would be are we talking filling the hull with water to say an inch or so above the structure needing to be soaked ? I don't see how you get the wood thoroughly wet without doing this.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

An inch or two of water only.

Andreas