winshield gasket

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Rick

winshield gasket

Post by Rick »

I just received my windshield gasket from Wefco Rubber(#3638 white) and I need to know if it's correct to staple it to the bottom of the windshield frame before mounting. That's the way the old one came off.
I also need the part number from Wefco for the rub rail for my '64 Thompson Super Lancer. I saw it on the forum; is this # correct: 0109G?
Also, any idea where I can find the end stop for the rub rail? (I only have one)
Thanks,
Rick
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

No staples. It just friction fits into the groove in the wood.

0109G is correct for gunwale rub rail.

Good luck trying to find the aluminum end cap.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

LancerBoy wrote:No staples. It just friction fits into the groove in the wood.

0109G is correct for gunwale rub rail.

Good luck trying to find the aluminum end cap.

Andreas
Not to argue Andreas because I know you've forgotten more about these boats than I'll ever know, but in looking at rebuilding my windshield assembly there is sort of a double groove. the gasket and glass rest against the insidemost and then there's saw cut that secures the gasket so it won't pop out when you hit a bump etc. The way I see the designer's thought process on this was that the inner groove (actually a narrow shelf ) supported the weight of the glass with the gasket providing a cusion against the wood and the saw cut secured it. I mention this because at one point, I wondered if one could install the glass with white silicone caulk. It was the idea that the caulk would not be strong enough to secure the glass in rough seas that made me realize that would be a dumb idea.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)