Transom repair with boat upright, bad news bears?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Transom repair with boat upright, bad news bears?

Post by 240sxguy »

I want to remove the transom of my boat, plane, reassemble etc.. since it is deteriorating like everyone else's.

My question is whether or not I can do this with the boat sitting upright, or if it should be upside down and secured down tightly to avoid racking the boat. I need to do garboard plank repairs, and think doing the transom first is the best place to start.

Thoughts?

Evan
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Sure, you can remove the transom with the boat upright. Just brace side to side so that the hull keeps her shape. Triangles are good.

Andreas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

For some reason, it almost seems like it would/will be easier. I won't have to fight gravity to get it back in there.

Andreas, do you still recommend putting a layer of marine ply in the center and putting the mahogany planking on the outside of it? I got my plywood price list today. McCormick has it in stock.

I have a buddy with a planer I plan on asking to plane down the transom pieces. One thing that is apparent, there are gaps between the current boards on the outside of the transom. I am concerned it won't go back together butted up nicely.

Thanks guys!
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I'd sandwich a piece of marine plywood especially if you are removing thickness on the existing boards and reusing them.

CPES everything before re-assembly. 3M5200 adhesive and silicon bronze screws.

Say HI to Andy McCormick. He has vintage wooden boats! I rode in his Shepherd this past summer.

Andreas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Okay thanks Andreas! I knew he had a wood boat, not sure why. You likely mentioned it. I was also happy to see west systems epoxy in stock!

Evan
john

Post by john »

Depending on the condition of the transon, you may be able to remove it, and then dissasemble it and clean up each board, by running it thur a thickness planner ( remove less than a 1/16 on each side) and put it back to gether. I was able to do that with mine, only had to replace one inner board around drain plug. Most of my screws were broken and glue had failed, came apart very easily.

Glued it back together with expoxy and silicon brass scress in same holes, 6 1/2 years and 150 hours, no problems.

Cpes every thing! Soaked each screw and nail hole, and installed back in same holes, which lined up in lapstrakes!

Check out pictures www.aerialimaging.net/john
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks for the info John, I remember reading about that. My buddy has a thickness planer and I am sure he would give them a light shave for me!

My transom doesn't have any rot that I can see, which is good news at least. I guess Ill find out when it comes off.
john

Post by john »

240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Mahogany puzzle? this guy's got class!

Thanks John.

Evan