Time to start a restoration thread 63' sea lancer

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Time to start a restoration thread 63' sea lancer

Post by 240sxguy »

Alright guys, I have managed to clear enough stuff off my plate to get a creeping slow start on the boat. I know it's not much but it's a heck of a lot further than I have gotten before.

Observation 1- Removing the aluminum rub rail trim sucks. I am also not looking forward to re-polishing it (I do have access to a commercial buffer)

Observation 2 - The decking came off the bow so easily it was kind of scary.

Pictures to come tonight. I gutted out most of the boat. I am thinking long and hard about stripping the paint from the areas immediately adjacent to the bow plywood and replacing the bow ply first. Sounds kind of ass backwards, but I really need an easy project to build some confidence here.

I do have a bit of a question... the back of my boat has a definite hog. I know I am going to be replacing ribs and scarfing garboard planks at the least. As I look at the part of the boat that the floor sits on that is ladder shaped, it is damaged from the hog as well. The rear most board is bowed.

I am concerned with getting this boat back into the correct shape, so follow me here.

I want to repair the ladder shaped piece that sits above the keelson, and reinstall it. This would then be my "reference" in the back of the boat. I could then tell if the keelson is bent/damaged and exactly how messed up the ribs and garboard planks are right?

Thanks guys! Ill try to keep most of my posts in one place so I don't clutter up the forum too badly.

Evan
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Alright, I promised pictures and here they are.

Sorry the photos aren't in that great of order;

1,2,4 and the last photo are pictures of the cross pieces that are in the bottom of the boat that support the floor. They are VERY warped!! I am not sure why honestly. The hull does have a dent in it from rollers but that is right near the transom. Check out the last photo to see just how badly warped that board is.

Picture 3 is the inside of the transom. There are gaps up to 1/8". I am not so confident that I will be able to just put it back together. It will require lots of 5200 and I am not sure that is the proper way to handle this.

Picture 5 is the delaminating plywood. After careful observation I am going to replace the first 4' of the garboard planks on both sides. That plywood looks scary.

Pictures 6,7,8,9 are evidence that the boat splayed apart a bit when I removed the decking. This concerns me. First two pictures are of the bench seat and the last two are of cross pieces screwed to ribs pretty far forward. I had planned on putting a big ratchet strap around the boat and pulling it back together when I re-installed the decking. Is this okay? Or normal?

You can click on any thumbnail.

Thanks for the help.

Evan
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

The boards that support floor could have a little bow to them so the floor has a crown to let water run off.

When you removed deck plywood the hull may have opened a little but it can be pulled back with a comealong or by hand. use your removed pieces for rough patterns.

The delamination on inner ply faces may not be fatal. depending upon how may plys are affected. a top layer caould be just sealed with epxoy. to stop any more damage.

Your inner surfaces look pretty good to me, if you find supports loose remember these boats have been vibrated for 40+years mosta all fittings need refastening. read re- tightening here.

I would refinish and wire under decks before applying decks!

Good luck a piece at a time!
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Dan; Thanks for helping me stay on the right track. I was getting a bit overwhelmed.

You said; I would refinish and wire under decks before applying decks!

Just to clarify, you mean do the refinishing work before I replace the top decking right?

The delamination looks like one layer. I will have to scarf in plywood regardless though. If I go forward about 4' or so I can do both sides with one sheet.
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Yes, refinish hull under decks before putting new decks on front, its a LOT easier that way.

Are you replacing bottom sheets because of rot or de-lamination?

Clean up all the surfaces on the sheets first you are worried about then make that decision.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Dan, there is a VERY pronounced dent in the rear where the back of the bunk was on the trailer. I need to get it flipped and pull a string from the bow back there to see if its just a dent in the rear or if it is a full fledged hog. I am playing it safe and assuming I am going to be scarfin'

Evan