Garboards secured with phillips/flat screws? Fir/mohogany?

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

240sxguy

Garboards secured with phillips/flat screws? Fir/mohogany?

Post by 240sxguy »

Alright, laying under my boat last night admiring the dent in the garboard planks I noticed some paint had flaked off a screw head or two. I picked at them with a pick tool for some reason and saw some were phillips heads!?

Whassup with that?

Also, I am going to replace the rear 4' of my garboards. Is this fir plywood or mohogany? If I can save some money by using fir and the original was fir... that is what I will do!

Thanks.
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Slotted flat head wood screws are what I have seen in 1950s and 1960s lapstrake boats by Thompson of Peshtigo. Don't recall ever seeing phillips head.screws. Maybe someone did some repair work in the past?

Hull planking is Douglas fir plywood. Today's Douglas fir marine plywood is junk. I would not use it for hull planking. I use Meranti or Okume. I have used Douglas fir marine plywood for replacing floor boards and maybe for a splash well, but never for hull planking.

It might be possible that your boat has hull planking with the paper overlay on it. Not sure off the top of my head when Thompson of Peshtigo started using that stuff.

Andreas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Maybe some repairs have been done in the past. They appear to be silicon bronze phillips head screws/nuts. You would never know by looking inside the boat. Very odd.

Ill just plan on using the meranti to fix the garboard planks then. Thanks Andreas.

Evan
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Not trying to be picky, but those brass / bronze screws are 99% likley to be Frearson head not Phillips. there is a slight difference, the frearson slots are much narrower and have little taper. A Phillips bit will not fit well.
Check pix at Jamestown Distributors to understand the difference.
Joe B
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Thanks Joe, I think you are right. I have a feeling I won't be able to get the paint cleaned out of them anyway. Hopefully they are tight. I remember reading about the different head type. Ill keep that in mind if I need to disturb them.

Evan
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

Phillips heads are easily cleaned out with a sharp ice pick, I have done hundreds that way. My 65 Cruisers Inc had lots of phillips style screws.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
240sxguy

Post by 240sxguy »

Dan, interesting to know your boat had some too. Reassuring!

Thanks guys, I am going to suck it up and buy some marine ply in the next few weeks. Progress will be slow, but still progress right?!

Evan
Cruiser Bob

Post by Cruiser Bob »

I've been experimenting on the screw removal as well. I've been dobbing the screw head w/ paint stripper to soften it up. 20 or so at a time................
62cruiserinc

Post by 62cruiserinc »

I had to remove about 1200 Frearson head screws (wood screws and machine screws w/ nuts) when I disassembled my 62 Cruiser Inc. I removed the "putty plug" with a punch that had an ID a little bigger than the screw head OD. Then I cleaned out the head using a pick, like txcaptdan said. It was pretty easy to do.

Steve
txcaptdan

Post by txcaptdan »

The other tool I used to remove putty from bunged holes was a flat blade screw tip in a battery powered drill. This reamed out that top layer of putty quickly then I used an ice pick to clean out screw heads.
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas