Restoration Pictures for 1967 Thompson Offshore Camper

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

cmassucci

Restoration Pictures for 1967 Thompson Offshore Camper

Post by cmassucci »

Thought I would post some shots of my restoration of a 1967 Thompson Offshore Camper. She is a 21ft boat with a 1968 100hp Johnson. This is my first wood boat restoration. I am a complete novice, so not restored to complete original condition. This works for me for now. I am sure over the next few years I will try to get her as close to original condition as I can. I had so much fun with my family putting it back together. The kids have named her "Sunny Days". Enjoy and thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. It was a HUGE help!

If this does not work paste this link into your browser:

http://picasaweb.google.com/CLMassucci/ ... directlink[/img]
Chris
67 Thompson Offshore Camper
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice!

Do I have your boat in the database? Hull ID and serial number?

Andreas
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

I can get the Serial Number, but could never find the Hull ID#. Looked all over the transom and could not find?? Do you think since this was close to the last year they were making them, they might not have stamped it? Or is this a sign that the transom might have been rebuilt before? Did not look that way when I had the interior pulled out, but then again I would probably not be able to tell the differnce. I will get you the Serial Number and try to look again for the Hull ID #.

Thanks !
Chris
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Looks Nice!

Good Luck,

Phill
richnle

Post by richnle »

Very Nice Chris.

Congratulations!

I live in Trumbull and am working on a couple of restorations. I sent you a PM to get in touch with me in case you want to compare notes sometime.

Rich
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

Andreas,

Sorry this took a while. I tried to find the hull number once more. Pulled Gas tank out as well. No luck! All I have is my serial number 28253.

Hope this helps!
Chris
carsonphoto

Nice

Post by carsonphoto »

She looks great!
Noticed the painted decks.
I'm working on a 1959 Barbour and considering doing canvased decks over the old plywood.
Did you use canvas? If so, what kind?
Thanks,
Tom
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

Tom,

The boat originally came with Canvas Decks. I decided to not replace the canvas, but to repair the wood deck below. I did this so I could install a permanent mahogany rub rail. Since I was painting the deck I actually used auto Bondo to fill the seams and cracks. I also used a non skid additive to my deck paint. Better for the kids. Seems to be holding up fine, but will have to see in the long run. Defender.com carries a line of canvas decking. I have had good luck with most of the products they carry.

Good luck!! Chris
Chris
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

The boat originally came from the factory with vinyl covering on the deck and covering boards.

Andreas
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

Andreas,

My boat had a painted canvas cover for the deck. Does this mean it was probably done to replace the original Vinyl??
Any tips on laying a new Mahogany deck veneer? I am thinking of putting a 1/8" veneer over the whole deck so I can have stained wood deck??? I know I should replace the whole deck, but think it might be too big of a job for me?? I would like to bring more stained varnished wood onto the boat? Your thoughts?

Thanks again!
Chris
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

Chris
Your photo album mentioned that the 100hp Johnson was not running. Did you get it running ? Where you able to find a complete new wiring harness ? I have the same motor (1967 modle in running condition but the wiring harness is old and cracked. I am process of restoring a Cruiser's Inc 18ft 302V Commander that orginally had the weather surfaces covered in marine vinyl. I've already stripped off the old vinyl and removed the aluminum rub rail. The fir plywood under the vinyl was in great shape with no rot so I am not planning on removing it however I will be covering it with mahogany and white oak to create a two tone effect. I am going to make new rubrails out of white oak strips. At present however I am 3300 miles from the boat and the only work going is the rebuilding of the windshield assembly by a cabinetmaker friend in his shop in Maine.

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Painted canvas would definately not be a Thompson factory installation.

Probably can cover the existing plywood deck with a veneer of Okume or Meranti plywood lieu of replacing the entire deck. Getting a good glue bond may be a problem between the two layers.

The stained and varnished deck would have been an option at Thompson of Peshtigo lieu of the standard vinyl covering.

Andreas
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

Andreas - Thanks for the wood recommendation! Next big project!

Brian - I did get my 68' running, but had to rig my own home built Power pack. I wanted to run her to see if it was worth investing in a new Pulse pack ($300 UGGG) Also the electronic shifting is prone to failure. It has two wires going down the shaft that connect to the Lower Unit. All was in good shape, so I have to install a new Pulse Pack.

I got a wiring harness from boatfix.com. They were the most reasonable. Just have to make sure you match up the right harness based upon Point or Senor trigger ignition. Not sure if the 67 had sensor trigger ignition. Here is the link to figure out all electrical parts for your OB.

http://www.boatfix.com/jeappguides.asp

If you call them and give them the OB Model Number and Serial Number, then they can tell you exactly which is the right harness. CDI made lots of changes to how they wire the OB from original harness. They eliminated quite a few switches that I guess caused more damage than good. You will have to figure out how to wire based upon the new harness.

Good Luck!
Chris
Tim the Toolman

1967 Offshore

Post by Tim the Toolman »

Hello Chris, I recently purchased what I believe to be a 1968 20' Offshore. I was not able to open your photo album of your restoration. Pasting the link didn't work either. Are your pictures down now? Thanks, Tim
Tim the Toolman
cmassucci

Post by cmassucci »

Should still work. I tried it and it worked. Try this link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir? ... feat=email
Chris