Starting work on my '61 Seacoaster

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Paulo

Starting work on my '61 Seacoaster

Post by Paulo »

I am about to start work on my ’61 Seacoaster and would like some advice about how to sequence the work. I have a number of ribs that need to be repaired due to rot/breakage in the bilge area. I don’t think any need complete replacement. I also have leaks – lots of leaks. The main culprit is the outer keel which is damaged and will be replaced but I also have leaks around the laps. My plan is to remove the planking below the waterline and reseal/recaulk them with either 3M 5200 or boat life.

My first question is should I flip the boat, strip the bottom, and work on the keel and planks first before working on the ribs or do the ribs before working on the keel and planks?

My second question is would I be better off working on the ribs with the boat upright or should I do the work while the boat is upside down?

My third question is should I use epoxy on the rib scarfs or is there something more appropriate?

My forth and final question (for now) is should I use the 3M 5200 or boat life on the laps and keel? I know there is some difference of opinion about this and I am interested in the plusses and minuses of both.

Thanks for your help.
Life is too short to own an ugly boat
JoeCB

Post by JoeCB »

Here is my $0.02 ... if you don't intend to replace any planking I think that all the rib and keel work is best done from the inside with the hull right side up. In this posture the only "underside" work will be removing and re-installing the outer keel... not a big deal. Ensure that the hull is adiquatly supported along it's entire length, port and starboard near the centerline before removing the keel. If you e-mail me I'll send you a description of how I did similiar work on my Sea Lancer... give you some ideas and info before you make a decision.
I'm sure that others will chime in with their ideas and expierence.
Good luck, the job may seem intimidating at the onset but is really not to bad taken in increments.
Joe B fixerjo@sbcglobal.net
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Thanks Joe CB. How about the rest of you. I know you are out there, so does any one else want to weigh in?
Which order to tackle the jobs? Right side up vrs upside down? 5200 vrs boat life? Epoxy or something else to scarf ribs?
Advice from those of you that have done this would be a huge help.
As alway, many thanks.
Life is too short to own an ugly boat