epoxy quick fix????

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

brian62

epoxy quick fix????

Post by brian62 »

I have 3 planks that are rotted through about 2 inches away from the transom.They are about 2 inches by 2 inches (2 inch holes) I was thinking about just filling them in with some epoxy and placing mahogany wood on the inside over the holes from the transom to the first rib.The remaining few inches of planks that connect to the transom are not rotted and there is no rot after the holes (towards the bow).I have read about scarfing in and i think doing that may be out of my League.I am concerned about strength here.Also is it safe to remove the steel plate that connects the planks and transom or should i apply some pressure to the planks .This is a 1960 cortland sea lancer.Thankyou for any suggestions.Brian J
GulfCoastThompson

Post by GulfCoastThompson »

I would scarf. It is not that hard to do and then your repair would be done right.
Ken
Fairhope, AL
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Good grief. Do you value your life and the life of family and friends that may be in this boat? Repair it CORRECTLY and forget about elixers. Replace the bad wood with new, good wood. The rot is probably much more extensive than the two inch diameter. Rot tendrils can extend several feet. Scarf in new wood. You may use epoxy to glue a scarf joint.

I have no clue what kind of steel plate connectes planks and transom.

Andreas
brian62

epoxy quick fix????

Post by brian62 »

Why yes i do value the life of other people and myself.That is why asked if I could do a quick fix.I also mentioned i am concern about the strength at this crucial part of the boat.Your point is well taken and scarf it is.I will have to get a friend of mine to help me out with with the job.I now have a follow up question.The first rib is about 12 inches away from the transom,should i remove that rib and extend the scarf piece beyond that point?Im guessing more is better here.Thanks again for the advice guys..... Brian J
HalcyonDays

Post by HalcyonDays »

Brian, I restored a Thompson like yours two years ago, The one I restored had a serial number of 56173 where yours is 56111. Mine shipped out of the factory on 1/6/60 where yours shipped out 12/29/59. Same models.

There should be no metal attached to the transom. There are two metal/aluminum strips that go up each outside edge of the transom. These two piece add no structural support, they are there to cover up screw heads and or as decorative pieces. I have attached a photo of the inside view of the transom. You should not have to remove any ribs to scarf on a strake. It would be a mistake to do so unless the rib has rotted. The strakes are screwed to the ribs, each other and the transom from the outside of the boat. The screw heads are covered up with a filler material. I would suggest stripping the paint from the strakes you want to remove: this will expose the screw heads.

good luck and add photos
brian62

epoxy quick fix????

Post by brian62 »

Thanks for the reply halcyondays(didnt see your name)I was talking about those metal strips on tho outside as you described.I thought maybe they had some structural purpose.I was thinking that i would have to remove the rib to scarf the new pieces in.I had a totally different mind set on doing this job.I thought i could just gouge out the rot and then from the inside place pieces of mahogany over the 2 inch holes but run the new wood the length from the transom to the first rib on the inside of the boat and then feather out some epoxy on the outside.I took a look at wooden boat forum and saw how they scarf these boards together and that changed my game plan.They showed how to scarf boards together on a work bench.Now im looking for some advice on how to scarf the planks on the boat .Id rather not have to take the planks off.Im a complete greenhorn when it comes to this stuff.Im pretty confident i can handle the rest of the repairs that are needed but this area of the boat ill want to get right the first time.Thanks for the pictures and the advice and i'll take all the knowledge you can fire at me. Brian J
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Those veritcal metal strips on the outside of the boat at the junction of transom and planking are called "bang plates." Their main function is to protect the wood when the boat bangs into docks, etc... They are protection pieces.

Andreas
thegammas
Location: Wilmington, Delaware. peterstransky@verizon.net - put wooden boat in the subject

Post by thegammas »

Cortland boats RULE!! (Given their supieror structural design....)

Can we see some pics of your boat Brian?

Pete
Peter Stransky
1962 Cortland Custom Sea Lancer
Wilmington, Delaware
brian62

epoxy quick fix????

Post by brian62 »

Ill post some pictures of my boat a.s.a.p. i need my daughters computer to do so and like any other college kid they only seem to come around when they need a few bucks(>: Brian J