Brightwork refinish

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

txcaptdan

Brightwork refinish

Post by txcaptdan »

My 65 model 20' Cruisers Inc Seacamper was in need of a freshen up on the varnish work after three years use.
I started by removing the stainless strips and rubber seals around windows. I decided to do cabin sides, combing, and splash well first, I like to work on areas until finished then move on to another so as not to be overwhelmed by the size of a project.

After nearby hardware was removed I sanded with 220 lightly to smooth and break glaze.

Any bare spots can be stained to match finish

After sanding I would vacuum surfaces and then tack rag then wipe down with 333 brushing liquid. I would mix a little 333 in my varnish and apply with a foam roller the tip out with a disposable bristle brush. Small areas can be brushed it. The 333 slows the drying process which give the varnish time to flow out and even surfaces. Wear latex gloves!!!

I repeated this for three coats, sorry I do not have any photos of me varnishing, had my hands full!

Each coat looked better than the next, watch for sags and runs as you tip out surfaces with bristle brush, you can usually smooth them out if you catch them, use a bright light on your area.
As I finished an area i replaced hardware and trim.

I sanded and refinished the combing and splash well also.

After finishing lower areas and replacing trim I mover to the uppers and windshields. Again removing hardware and sanding with 220.

I refinished transom after removing engine for some repainting on it, I am repainting the 85 Johnson to 60s colors. I also got a chance to refinish name plates and add her name to the transom.

What a difference a fresh coat of varnish makes and how it extends the lives of these fantastic craft.
Here she is ready for launch tomorrow!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Dan Stober
1965 20' Cruisers Inc. 570 Seacamper
1962 20' Cruisers Inc. 502
1963 16' Cruisers Inc. 202 Seafarer
Weatherford, Texas
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

Great Pics and Beautiful Boat.
Thanks for the post.
Karl.
TheCaptain

Thanks!

Post by TheCaptain »

TX CAPTDAN- I always appreciate your posts showing practical ways of going about repairs/maintenance. Thanks for the motivation!

BIG FISH is looking sharp! Nice work.

Have a good launch! My baby is still in winter storage but will be out soon...