Boat Flipping Pictorial

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Torchie

Boat Flipping Pictorial

Post by Torchie »

16 new ribs steam bent and installed now it is time to flip the boat.

First step is to build some bracing. I used 2x4’s on edge with 2x6’s and stub 2x4 pieces to build a fork at the end of each brace. They are spaced out to take the load and help the hull maintain it’s shape during the rollover. Nothing is screwed into the hull or trim boards.
Forked ends act like clamps to hold braces in place. I then added some cross bracing and cut the ends of the braces at an angle to help with the roll over.
Image Image
Boat is lifted off of jack stands and set on 3 tires along the keel and 1 tire at each corner of the transom. The transom tires need to be positioned so that the corners of the boat roll across the tire and not into the hole in the center of the tire.
I also put 2 tires under the chine of the boat as these are the points that the boat will be rolling on.
We did this roll with 3 people as that was all that I could find to help.
We started to roll the hull off the keel and onto the chine. With two of us holding up the boat the third person moved the tires from the keel area around to the outside rub rail at the top of the shear strake.

Once the boat is on edge we started to switch sides in preparation of letting the boat down. We also positioned two of the dollies that the boat will sit on. With all of us on the same side we lowered the boat down onto the rear dollie and the dollie that goes under the bow.

The hull now rests upside down on three dollies.
As the pictures show the bottom of this boat is in good shape. No hogs or plank damage. On to stripping the bottom.
Karl
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

Nice!

I have flipped many boats by this method but never had a photographer standing by to document the process!

Thanks for sharing.

Andreas
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

What a godsend this site is. I am leaving for Maine on Monday and once I get settled in at my place on Sebago Lake, I'll be removing the motor and flipping the boat to begin the work to the hull. I'll probably set up my laptop outside the barn and walk through the flip over process step by step reading this thread.

Thanks again
Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
Torchie

Post by Torchie »

You are welcome Brian.
To further update my progress : Keel is off and hull is about 1/2 stripped. Now that the weather is warmer I am going to turn my attention to the twin 35 Johnsons.
New impellers, seals, tune up, paint, ect.
Have a safe trip to Maine.
Karl.
THE LAKE

Post by THE LAKE »

I need to get my big Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor to my guy Sonny over on Pope Rd in Windham for a new impellor and a good look over myself, but I'm going to concentrate on the hull for now. The outer keel is chewed to hell and I want to remove the sensor for the nonfunctional depth guage and plug the hole. The entire hull needs to be stripped, the fasterners checked and any loose or rusted ones replaced , a nice coat of primer followed by ta couple of coats of Woolsey's white and then the orginal bottom paint if I can score some. I' going to finish the top lapstrake to match the topside with stain and varnish. When I flip the boat over I am going to treble up the covering boards and top deck and- - - well, it'd take me more than one post to detail out what I've been planning all winter. Suffice to say, thanks to the incredible resource of this website, I have a plan LOL

Brian
I'd have a boat and a Harley even if there were no water or roads in the world.
89 MACH I MV1900CC
62 Cruiser's Inc 302V Commander (under restoration) 67 Johnson 100hp Golden Meteor (running like new)
59FLPAN

RIB REPLACEMENT PICTORIAL

Post by 59FLPAN »

HI BRIAN, I OWN A SECOND HOME IN PHIPPSBURG MAINE, I AM RESTORING A 1962 THOMPSON, I AM NOT SURE THE MODEL, THE BOAT WAS BUILT IN CORTLAND N.Y. , I BELIEVE SHE IS 18 FEET IN LENGHT, BUT AM TOLD THEY DID NOT MAKE A 18 FOOTER IN 1962 FROM CORTLAND, ANYWAYS GOOD TO SEE YOU ARE FROM MAINE, I AM DOING A BUNCH OF RIB WORK [20 RIBS], AND ALSO WANT TO DO SOME MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR WORK ON THE ORIGINAL 1962 JOHNSON 75HP SUPER SEA-HORSE OUTBOARD, I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THE GENTLEMAN THAT YOU USE TO LOOK AT MY ENGINE, DO YOU HAVE HIS CONTACT INFO?

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER AND DAY
JEFF
1962 THOMPSON
jeffrey w. sanderson
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

If indeed you have a 1962 model year boat by Thompson Boat Company of New york, Inc. made at Cortland, NY, they had the following models that year: 16'-0" Sea Coaster; 17'-2" Sea Lancer; 19'-7" Sports Fisherman; and 19'-7" Club Cruisette. lengths given are the centerline length.

Andreas
59FLPAN

1962 18ft thompson & 1962 75hp johnson super sea-horse e

Post by 59FLPAN »

THANKS AGAIN ANDREAS, I MEASURED THE BOAT QUICKLY WHEN I BOUGHT IT, IT SEEMED TO BE 18 FEET IN LENGHT, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT MAYBE SHE IS 17'-2", I WILL CHECK AGAIN WHEN I HEAD TO PHIPPSBURG NEXT WEEK.

HAVE A GREAT DAY
JEFF
1962 THOMPSON
jeffrey w. sanderson