tops and full covers

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Thomas Mackin

tops and full covers

Post by Thomas Mackin »

My 58 Sea Lancer is nearing completion and I was wondering if any of you have had bimini tops or full covers bought or made for your boat? The full cover would be for only trailering so maybe could get buy with a premade top? I have the old ripped green bimini so will probably just have to get one made or?
Big Mac
W Guy

Post by W Guy »

I wouldn't recommend any type of full covering for trailering. The wind will move it around constantly and it will rub off paint and varnish. If you think you might get caught in the rain while trailering, then just a bimini top will help keep water off the instruments and controls.
Verne :)
Bill Dunn

Post by Bill Dunn »

I agree with Verne on the full cover usage while towing. As for the bimini and other pieces, if you have a good tent and awning place they should be able to help you out. If you have the old top and the bows it will save you some money. You could also check with local boat dealers and see who does work for them.

Bill
All Dunn ll
'59 Sea Lancer
John Hart

Post by John Hart »

I use a cover while trailering... I had a custom cover made with a very heavy duty material (I can't remember the fabric name right now...)

I try to keep all water out of my boat, to minimize any rot. Since there is no infiltration through seams in the hull, I don't want to get stuck in a rainstorm and have water come in, only to seep into cracks inside..

I also do not want to get the windows and hull sandblasted with stones and flying tar/bugs/etc.... and it keeps the inside free of dust.

The cover I have, is one piece, and it keeps all moisture out. There are several vents to allow circulation. There is a drawstring that cinches up around the shear plank, and has straps with clips to attach to the trailer frame. it is custom fitted for my windshield and bow/aft light, and is reinforced around the touch points... like the window corners, horn, spotlight, etc.. I does not flap much at all on the road.

I usually use some scrap tee shirt material to soften any abrasion , but it fits so well, that I dooubt there is much there anyway.

When it is parked outside on vacation, I run the wheel jack up, and any water that hits the cover, rolls off the back and off by the motor, with nothing going inside.

The only thing that I don't like, is that I should have asked for white straps... Although black looks better, it sometimes leaves marks on the white hull (like a nickle scrape). They mostly come off with dish soap on a paper towel.

Here is a pic..