Spring for cable steering system

Questions/concerns/issues. How did the other guy do it? Find out here.

Moderators: a j r, TDockside, Miles, Moderators

Richard Lichte

Spring for cable steering system

Post by Richard Lichte »

Hello all. I've been reading the forum for years, but have never gotten around to posting. I always seem to find answers here before I need them. I do, however have a question at this point. I have a 1962 Sea Coaster with a 1962 Johnson 75 HP which I bought back in 2003. The cable steering did not have a spring at one end as it should. I've meant to remedy this for several years, but with one thing and another... The manual for the Johnson says the cable attachments to the transom should be bolted, not screwed. I had the bottom (garboards) along with the outer transom professionally replaced two years ago and asked the shop to add the spring when the cable was reinstalled. The man in charge expressed his reluctance to drill more holes through the transom, seemed to think screws would be ok. As it turned out only the outer transom was replaced, steering was not deinstalled and thus no spring was added. So, my question. What is standard practice for fastening the hardware that holds the two ends of the cable system. Should it bolt through the transom or are wood screws that go fairly deep into the transom sufficient. The pull on the screws would be lateral rather than wanting to pull them out of their holes. Thanks for any information or advice.
Rich
Phill Blank

Post by Phill Blank »

Rich,

All the boats that I have have the cab;e termination strap screwed to the transom with two #10 or #12 screws.
As far back as I can remember all the cable terminations on boats I have seen in the past have been screwed to the transon, but these were all boats with 40 HP or less.
I would believe that the Johnson manual is doing a "CYA" with recommending thru bolting.

Anyone else have a comment?

Good luck,

Phill
LancerBoy

Post by LancerBoy »

I've never seen 'em bolted. Screws are fine. Even on my '57 Sea Lancer with 110 HP Mercury 1100SS. No problems what so ever. Same with the twin 35 HP 1957 Johnsons on the same boat.

Andreas
Richard Lichte

Cable steering

Post by Richard Lichte »

Gentlemen,
Thank you both, screws it will be.